PLumbing help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, attempted to run a T off a mains for a electric shower today for my friend. With the stop cock off, there was still a steady trickle of water coming through.

Tried to have a look at packing gland in the stop cock by isolating the mains in the street, but even with this turned tight, water was still coming through.

Then to add to my woes a soldered "T" just above the stop cock came loose.
There isnt enough room to simply cut out the old T and replace with a compression or push fit. It needs to be re-soldered (a task which is obviously very difficult with water constantly coming through!)

Can anyone advise on what to do next? Ideally I want to get this stop cock fixed but I also don't want to create more work for myself (I've heard usually it's easier just to replace the whole stop cock than bother trying to rectify a leak). Would pipe freezers do the trick to temporarily stop the flow of water while I solder the T.

Thanks for any input!!!
Oz

Sponsored Links
Turn down in street and be quick, is typical :cry:

If the stop tap in the road is closed and your still getting flow then a polar freeze wont work, the slightest flow stop this from working.

get a new compression stop tap and place towels round the base of the old, cut out and replace with new, obviously with street tap closed.

you will get water leakage but, hey ho its the only way other than finding the mains and risking closing the street or estate.

Freezer kits wont work if there is a flow in the pipe ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back