Plumbing on Vented HW Cylinder question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I have a question I wonder if anyone can help with...

I recently bought a 2 bed flat (one story, no gas) and the existing HW system is a gravity fed, vented Immersion heater (the storage tank is directly above the cylinder and there is an electric pump to boost the pressure on the hot water output.

The cylinder is fairly large and as the flat sits empty quite often, I'm looking at installing an electric Europrisma unvented heater (plus expansion kits etc.) as the HW only needs to supply 2 sinks (kitchen and bathroom, all other appliances have cold inputs only and the shower is electric.)

Having studied the existing plumbing on the HW cylinder and comparing with “typical” schematics online, I’m stumped.

It appears there is a rising main plumbed directly into the cold feed (i.e. the bottom of the HW cylinder (pic attached). Surely this isn’t correct as there’d be no need for the booster pump as I have quite high mains pressure?

2 possible scenarios:

1) This is actually the “bleed line” from the cylinder and I’m mixing up the rising main with the drain line?

2) The valve could actually be in the closed position and not feeding the cylinder at all (I didn’t verify if the valve is in the open or closed position and my flat is 3 hours drive away!)

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I can’t get a plumber willing to take on a small job like this so I’m looking at installing the Europrisma myself (I’ve worked a fair bit with hydraulics so feel confident enough). Initially I’ll be using flexible hoses to verify the system is working ok and performing as expected, after a couple of months I’ll tear out the old system and fully commission the unit with copper piping. I’ve been googling flexible braided hoses and I believe they are fine up to 70-80 deg C, so I don’t think I’ll have a problem as long as I don’t buy from the “bargain bin”

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks a lot, sorry if this is a tad basic…
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo.JPG

Sponsored Links
2) The valve could actually be in the closed position and not feeding the cylinder at all (I didn’t verify if the valve is in the open or closed position )

It looks more like a drain valve.

The cold feed will be to the float valve in the cold tank.

If that valve was to feed cold mains into the vented cylinder then water would be coming out of the cylinder and into the cold tank via the vent and feed pipes and the tank would be over flowing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back