Plumbing plan for renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been getting work from plumbers and I can't seem to get any decent advise. All the plumbers I speak to have a 'that'll do' approach to pipe sizing so I am giving up and going to DIY, hopefully with some advise from here.

Sorry for the long post. You can probably ignore the 'where i am' bit and just review the plan in the 'where i want to be' bit.

All input welcome.

Where I am
------------------------------

Standard size mid-terrace house with three floors (loft conversion about to kick-off). Two bathrooms, one on the first floor and second bathroom will be in the loft conversion on the third floor.

Bathrooms contain toilet, sink and thermostatic shower-over-bath.

Old pipework in 15mm copper.

Recently had the old lead mains supply replaced with a 32mm MDPE. I had asked them to terminate in 28mm copper before reducing to the existing 15mm as I plan to tee of various cold water supplies from a 28mm supply. They ignored this and brought the 32mm to a 25mm MDPE reducer with a short leg to a brass stopcock to 15mm copper.

Also recently had a Worcester Highflow 440 CDI fitted in the kitchen on the ground floor. I asked for the cold supply for be run in 22mm copper supply to the 15mm in the basement. They ignored this and fitted 15mm cold supply.

Also asked for 22mm hot and cold hep2o run to the loft. They ignored that and ran 22mm hep2o hot and 15mm hep2o cold.

Think all these plumbers are either cloth-eared or trying to **** me off. I'm not a plumber so I don't mind them doing something else if they know better but they didn't justify their decisions, just saying 'should be alright'. I think they just did them because their were a bit easier for them to install and materials cost a few quid less. Either way they will not be invited back again to do any work in my house.

Where I want to be

I think what I am after is pretty straight-forward plumbing and there must be a common way of achieving this.

This is the plan:

* 32mm MDPE mains supply to 28mm copper in basement supplying the following tees:
* 22mm hep20 cold supply to loft
* 22mm copper to boiler
* 15mm copper to existing first floor bathroom
* 15mm to kitchen (sink, dishwasher, washing machine)

* 22mm copper DHW from Worcester 440CDI supplying:
* 22mm hep2o to first floor bathroom and loft bathroom (shared supply)
* 15mm copper to kitchen sink

James

Sponsored Links
Having talked to plumbers and getting quotes for work I can't seem to get any decent advise. All the plumbers I speak to have a 'that'll do' approach to pipe sizing so I am giving up and going to DIY, hopefully with some advise from here.

James

It seems to me that all you have done is called these plumbers on the pretext of asking for a ( FREE ) quote and expected to get free advice!

In that case I would not expect them to be wanting to give you free "advice". ( Note correct spelling of advice! )

Tony

Sponsored Links
Ha, I've nothing against plumbers and would be please to find a decent one in Bristol. If you can recommend then post their details please.

You'll notice my bad experiences come from paying thousands of pounds for work to be done to a poor standard with no consideration to the overall system.

I am not looking for people to work for free but I am happy to DIY if I get a better result. This is a DIY forum so I expect this to the right place to share this kind of thing.

I would suggest you ask for advice from plumbers before you start telling them what they should be doing - and getting it wrong, which you have.
If they can't advise you sensibly, then pick another.
If you come across as someone with a chip on his shoulder, which you have, then you'll be fobbed off.

Now you're going to ask what was wrong with your stipulations on sizes. We may not be inclined to bother to spend the time.

Now you're going to ask what was wrong with your stipulations on sizes. We may not be inclined to bother to spend the time.

Because of the chip? (joke)

But seriously, there are a lot of assumptions that I have been asking for free advice or bossing plumbers around when the reality is I openly state my requirements (mainly hot supply to two showers) and get advice back like running 15mm hep2o to supply both showers.

The plumbers around here just seem too busy to put the time in.

Still looking for a good plumber, let me know if you know any.

I am not looking for people to work for free but I am happy to DIY if I get a better result. This is a DIY forum so I expect this to the right place to share this kind of thing.

But in spite of saying that, you were expecting a free visit to your property to give you free advice!

Not just from one plumber but from several when only one could ever get the job and probably none because you were intending to get it done by DIY.

Tony

But in spite of saying that, you were expecting a free visit to your property to give you free advice!

Tony, read the section 'where i am' I have been paying plumbers and getting poor work and poor advice.

Because of the chip?
Yes. Not a joke.

You've come across to a few plumbers at least, as being a pain to deal with. Remember we've had more practise at judging customers than you have at judging plumbers.

Ten replies and nothing that addresses the initial post.

Sorry fellas if I gave you the impression I think all plumber are like this. I'm sure there are some good guys out there taking pride in their work I just haven't found one in Bristol yet.

As this is a DIY site I've had a stab at producing a plan for the plumbing. Don't assume I've been handing this out to every plumber coming along, more than happy to go with the opinion of an experienced hand.

Feel free to give your 2 cents (on the plumbing plan of course).

"2 cents" :rolleyes: - there you go again.

I already did, first post, first line, but as expected your chip is in the way accepting advice.
Bye.

"2 cents" :rolleyes: - there you go again.

I already did, first post, first line, but as expected your chip is in the way accepting advice.
Bye.

Sorry mate don't get it, the term '2 cents' doesn't really mean much to me, just an expression isn't it?

Were was the advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back