Plumbing plan for renovation

The OP certainly has some interesting choices of pipe sizes.

Why?

The main thing I want to achieve is stable flow to the boiler for DHW to the showers.

The thought being that the 28mm copper in the basement will have enough capacity to feed the kitchen (dishwasher, washing machine etc.) without affecting flow to the DHW.

Sponsored Links
One aspect to "large" diameter piping to Hot water taps/showers that you may not have thought of: The first time you draw hot water at the beginning of the day (or after a few hours of cooling) is that you have to draw off a lot more more water before you get any warm out. The waste of water is one aspect, but it is being replaced by hot water from your cylinder so it's quite a waste of heat too. Expensive heat.

If small is bad and big good then bigger is better, right? Wrong!

Nozzle

One aspect to "large" diameter piping to Hot water taps/showers that you may not have thought of: The first time you draw hot water at the beginning of the day (or after a few hours of cooling) is that you have to draw off a lot more more water before you get any warm out. The waste of water is one aspect, but it is being replaced by hot water from your cylinder so it's quite a waste of heat too. Expensive heat.

If small is bad and big good then bigger is better, right? Wrong!

Nozzle

Hi Noozle, thanks for replying.

This system uses a highflow combi for DHW Which can deliver 20 litres per minute. I've already fitted a thermostatic, deck mounted shower in the existing bathroom with 22mm hep2o from the boiler and it draws hot water in about 30 seconds from a cold system. I'm happy with this but expect it to improve once the boilers cold water supply is updated from 15mm to 22mm copper.

So far it is much better than the old 10kw electric shower it replaced. Only really up sizing plumbing in preparation for the new bathroom in the loft.

Sponsored Links
I'll take it the pipe sizes are actually pretty standard for a combi setup, since there has been no criticism of the actual plan.

I've ordered a Plasson 32mm mdpe to 28mm copper coupler and will install the new pipework after the bank holiday. I'll update this thread for the benefit of those looking for information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back