Plumbing survey for insurers

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a water leak from pipework in our loft in June, our insurance company have just now asked for us to have a full survey and report of our plumbing if further cover for escape of water is to continue. Quoted from their communication:

"A member of the CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering) can conduct a plumbing report. This report is to confirm that the plumbing in the property is of a satisfactory standard according to the CIPHE. This will also include any additional works that you have had carried out."

I should add that immediately following the leak we, of our own volition, had all water pipes removed from our loft and re-routed under the floor of the house.

Is such a survey likely to be expensive?

Sponsored Links
Change your insurance company. It's much easier.
A new company won't ask for such a survey.

Thanks. That does sound an easy option. However, I know from experience that they always ask whether you have ever been refused insurance (I believe they check up on what you say as well), and I assume that they would find that my current insurers refused to cover for water escapes unless I provide a favourable report.

I think I'm going to have to have a survey done.

Thanks. That does sound an easy option. However, I know from experience that they always ask whether you have ever been refused insurance (I believe they check up on what you say as well), and I assume that they would find that my current insurers refused to cover for water escapes unless I provide a favourable report.

I think I'm going to have to have a survey done.

No having your insurance refused is different.
You'll probably find another insurance company is cheaper.
I had the same problem with trees. One company wanted all sorts
of survey nonsense another company no problem at all. Quote and signed up in minutes. Life is too short for these companies that want to cause me a load of hassle I just go elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
They will ask whether you have made a claim in the last XXX years.

Tell them the truth, and all the pipes have been removed from the loft to prevent a repeat.

. However, I know from experience that they always ask whether you have ever been refused insurance (I believe they check up on what you say as well), and I assume that they would find that my current insurers refused to cover for water escapes unless I provide a favourable report.

Thye actually ask if you have had cover refused or had special terms imposed.

I suppose the latter could be applicable, depending in their wording of their request. But I would go for a change, but be honest about the history. As said, you have been pro active in trying to avoid a repeat, and that should be massively in your favour.

What company is it?

RIAS.

I'm disappointed, as they have always been very good in the past. In fact, following this disaster in June, their loss adjuster was very helpful indeed, replaced new for old for everything in the affected room, authorised replacement of ceiling, cornice and carpet, and full redecorating. In total, the payment to us was in excess of £10,000.

I can understand their wanting to be sure that all our plumbing is in good order. I'd just like to know what people think here would be a reasonable price to pay for a report to that effect.

I have contacted some CIPHE-registered plumbers. So far, one has replied to say that he is too busy to do survey work! I'll keep trying.

you will find it difficult to get any one to give you a written report,,, for the small amount the plumber would get,,, the insurance co would if there was even the slightest problem try to blame the plumber,,,, i regularly recive calls from insurance firms asking for the cause of a burst,,, i always say, as they would say to me that its confidential

b1oody cheek that they will only use someone that is CIPHE reg, that is not a guarentee of good workmanship it's just a club that you join if you want to pay the fee

you will find it difficult to get any one to give you a written report,,, for the small amount the plumber would get,,, the insurance co would if there was even the slightest problem try to blame the plumber,,,, i regularly recive calls from insurance firms asking for the cause of a burst,,, i always say, as they would say to me that its confidential

Quite so. I've just had another response from a gentleman who has never encountered such a thing before and would like to know more about exactly how far he should go in determining the condition of pipework such as, for example, removing insulation.

He is also concerned that, should he issue a report stating that the pipework is of satisfactory standard and then a leak occur, would the insurers sue him?

I have forwarded his questions to my insurers and await their response.

In case anyone is still interested (!), I have just been contacted by my insurers to say that they no longer need a survey to be carried out, and have offered to renew cover under the original conditions.

I shall, nevertheless, send them a copy of the receipt for removal of pipework from the loft as proof that this work has been carried out.

Presumably a more senior person has reviewed the claim and seen some sense!

There is obviously no further risk of a similar claim occurring!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back