Plumbing vent pipe not connected in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New DIYer but having just bought my first house and had a baby, I think I'll be getting some hands on quite soon.

Hoping someone can help. Just had a loft ladder fitted so exploring the attic for the first time. At the far end of the extension above the bedroom is a pipe coming from the ensuite. Above it and a little to the side is a pipe going through the roof. I was very concerned as looking at the pipe in the roof there is just sky - no cover - so rain is getting on to the insulation below (see picture below).

Googling it, I'm led to believe it may be a very unconnected stack vent for the sewage system. My question is should these pipes be connected (if so any recommendations on how) or should I just get someone with a very big ladder to install a cap on the pipe?

Your experience and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

View media item 70437

Sponsored Links
If it was the top of the soil stack you would know about it from the smell! more likely your extractor fan.

Hi rjm2k,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with what you're saying regards the smell, but there's no extractor fan in the bathroom and then pipe in the original picture goes into the corner of the house. From the picture below you can see that it travel down the corner of the bathroom where the waste pipe from the toilet goes, and I know that there is a sewage connection at the bottom corner of the house there.

Many thanks,

View media item 70439

peculiar! perhaps someone was going to add an extractor but abandoned it?

Can you hear anything at the top when the loo is flushed?

Sponsored Links
rjm2k I'll let you know as soon as I can check.

RigidRaider - I'll recheck the survey, but don't recall anything mentioned about it. And we didn't go for a bog-standard survey either.

Could have been disconnected and had an aav fitted behind that boxing

Not that that would be a good idea

Didn't even bother boxing in the pan connecter, this has new build written all over it.

Check under your insulation at random points

Or was it left as a spare route to the waste water system just in case someone wanted to later do a loft conversion with a bog in it. In this case though, you'd still want it capped off with something. A durgo???

Nozzle

If it's connected to waste then I'm concerned about smell (although to be fair we haven't noticed any) but I'm probably more concerned about a pipe in my roof that is (a) uncapped or (b) isn't connected to a waste pipe to funnel of rain water rather than depositing it on my insulation.

Quite likely that vent pipe was meant to dog leg to the left and then up through that flashing.......but whoever did it noticed it was close into the rafters and so didn't bother :eek:
Ear and nose to that open pipe while someone flushes the loo......both will be quite distinct!
John :)

With John there, looks a bit awkward to join that pipe to supplied hole in roof. May have been accidentally on purpose 'forgotten' about..... Slapped wrist for surveyor though, really should have picked up the hole in the roof, (from inspecting the roof if not from inside!), if he hadn't noticed the uncapped pipework in the loft.

I'd be wary of fitting an AAV in case that section was designed to vent the drains, but either way, hole in roof needs sorting if it's letting in water, so if someone is going onto the roof you might as well do the job properly and connect the two together. May need a few bends to bridge the gap, but it'll only be carrying air so wont matter.

Even if you don't connect up the pipe yet, at least get some sort of vent fitted over that hole to keep the weather out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back