plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I have had a leak from my overplow pipe the plumber came and first replaced the ball cock in the overflow tank I dont have a combi boiler system . its the copper cylinder type . anyhow this did nt work and leak came back , it leaks when the water is not being used like overnight . then the plumber said it was a leak in the coil in the copper tank and I should have it replaced . so he came and replaced my hot water cylinder and I cannot believe it but the leak is still there as bad as ever what shall I do next not paid him anything as yet help

Sponsored Links
Faulty mixer tap/valve letting cold water mains go up the hot water pipe.

Turn off your cold water mains over night and see that it stops happening.

Andy

Thanks Andy I have contacted the plumber and he is coming today I've not paid him yet I do not think he knows were the water is coming from. I'm no mad as I feel like he has replaced a perfectly good cylinder and the cost is high the
The leaks starts in the early hours when non waterIis being used

Yes, as Andy said, the faulty mixer is allowing the cold to back up into the hw pipe then into the hw cylinder. In turn, this backs up into the cold storage tank in loft.

It's poss only a low amount of water seeping into the hot system. Through the day, as you use water, this drains water from the cold storage tank and stops it overflowing out the overflow pipe. At night, with no water usage, the level in the tank bulds up and eventually overflows.

Pity your plumber. But then again, he should have excluded all other possibilities before changing big-ticket items.

Sponsored Links
Well the plumber came back today and is shocked changing the cylinder did not work .He has now looked at the mixer tap in the kitchen and has blocked off the hot water to this tap we will have to wait till morning to see if the water is still coming bout of the over flow pipe if it is the taps we had the hot water systems
cylinder changed for nothing as the other one must have been on I've not parted with any money yet were do I stand as he said it was the cylinder non it now looks very much like it was not

It's a tricky situation. However, if I diagnosed a component as being faulty that turned out to be OK, I would swallow the cost. In the case of a hw cylinder, there are methods of ruling it in or out as the cause. An expensive lesson learned. It happens, and I got caught out when I was less experienced.

Please let us know how you get on.

Hi well after the plumber isolated the hot water over night we had no leaking , talked to the plumber this morning told him we had no leaking overflow overnight. He said let's leave it another day to be sure and if still not leaking we need to change the tap. So we're do wei go from here he changed a perfectly cylinder he has said nothing about the costs as yet

Just as a matter of interest how do you eliminate if it's the cylinder needs changing

Was the original overflow coming from the central heating expansion tank (the small one) or the main storage tank?

The small tank I think he isolated this tank drained it off and it got
Full and then started to flow out the overflow again

The small tank I think he isolated this tank drained it off and it got
Full and then started to flow out the overflow again

If he isolated the expansion tank and it filled with water then you did have a faulty cylinder.

Andy

After he fitted the new cylinder it was still leaking out the overflow in the middle of the night it was only when he isolated the kitchen hot water tap that is stopped leaking . Which makes me think he fitted a new cylinder and it made no difference
At all to the leak so why fit a new cylinder instead of first checking the taps

Just as a matter of interest how do you eliminate if it's the cylinder needs changing

You drain down the water in the system (not the contents of cylinder - the water that heats the rads and coil inside the cyl.) and disconnect the lower of the two coil primary pipes connected to the side of the cylinder. If the coil is holed, the water that is stored in the cyl will be forced through the hole and drip out of the connection on side of tank where the lower primary pipe has been disconnected from.

Not exactly a 10 min job, but the only way I know to prove the coil sound or not.

Are you sure it was the small tank that was overflowing? A faulty tap will make the large storage tank overflow. Holed cyl coils make the small tank overflow.

I don't know for sure which tank it is the overflow pipe outside was leaking overnight . He said that the level of water in the small tank had risen after he had emptied it but it had not overflowed he said it was getting water after he had shut it off . If the water had been coming from the faulty taps would it make the water leak out of the overflow pipe. And which tank would the water from taps go . that you for all this information I.m learning loads.

Maybe I should give up my job as a counsellor and go as a plumbers mate.

Learning loads but is it suitable for a woman maybe I should leave it to you guys each to their own .

Sponsored Links
Back