plumbing

Hi well still not sorted my hot water tap is still disconnected and no drips from overflow how would you know if it was the cylinder when the dripping over flow was there before the cylinder was changed and it was still there after the cylinder was changed. However since the hot water tap on the mixer has been isolated no dripping whatever.

Sponsored Links
Which overflow becomes a crucial question, and there will remain an (unlikely) possibility that you may have had two faults.

Well plumber came back today fitted new tap and he brought the old cylinder back he showed my some discolouration on the bottom said it would be corrosion and would have eventually gone however it could last another five years who knows

For sure, we have had a cylinder changed unnecessary. As it was the tap after all so he is willing to put the old cylinder back if I want him to. However the hot water I
stays hotter in this new cylinder and I think I want him to leave it were it is so I Don't have any more inconvenience but I feel as it was partly his fault for a mistake I should have some kind of discount the boss is coming later to discuss what I want to do I feel he has done a good job of Al the work he has done and is willing to put it right however what should I do.

Well if you agree to pay the cost price for the new cylinder, no fitting charge and get an allowance for the scrap value of the old cylinder, then pay the cost for replacing the mixer tap,, you would be all square.
But there's room for negotiation on all those values.

Sponsored Links
Well plumber came back today fitted new tap and he brought the old cylinder back he showed my some discolouration on the bottom said it would be corrosion and would have eventually gone however it could last another five years who knows

That`s a fair point - showing on the outside , it could well be corroding - and from the inside out ! We all make a c**k up sometime - I carried a cylinder up to a flat once - fell up the stairs and put a massive dent in the side :oops: Sold it to a M8 and it lasted for years until he had a combi fitted.

Hi could get him to take it put and get a combi but I've been happy with the system I've got is a combi boiler
That much better and why

just speed read through this question. if the expansion is overflowing and the ball valve was replaced, eliminating let by in the middle of the night, then it's the cylinder.
as the guy replaced the ball valve in the expansion, we can take it that it was the expansion overflowing (uless he is a half wit, which clearly he is not). so pay the man what you owe him.
second problem however unlikely, two faults? how many times have we seen a boiler with two sometimes three faults.

oh there are trolls on here, anything constructive to say while mums cooking dinner

The guy changed the cylinder and the fault persisted to his surprise. He changed the mixer tap and it solved the problem. Not saying he is a half wit for getting it wrong, everyone makes mistakes, but I'm not sure I could say the same about someone who gives advice like that without reading the thread properly.

changed ball valve in expansion tank, tank still fills, where does the water come from? kitchen tap, NO unless the tap is connected to the heating system. so where does water come from???

trying to mug another plumber, pay up what you owe.
cajar lap, lap and lap up again

changed ball valve in expansion tank, tank still fills, where does the water come from? kitchen tap, NO unless the tap is connected to the heating system. so where does water come from???

You must have missed some vital info whilst you were speed reading. Such as -

However since the hot water tap on the mixer has been isolated no dripping whatever.

and

For sure, we have had a cylinder changed unnecessary. As it was the tap after all so he is willing to put the old cylinder back if I want him to.

I don't think the OP was ever 100% sure which tank was overflowing.

simple question, where does the water enter the heating system. the fact that the sink tap has been changed means ....all .
expansion overflows, ball valve changed, expansion overflows.
where does water come from??????? oh i know kitchen tap, how please explain, magic, act of god, please answer with an intelligent suggestion

Maybe the plumber was wrong about which tank was overflowing.

After all, he was wrong about the ball valve, which he changed unnecessarily.

He was wrong about the coil in cyl, which he changed unnecessarily.

If he was wrong on all these counts, can we be sure he was right that the f&e tank was overflowing? I wasn't there, so I'm not going to argue a point all night when I can't verify the facts.

Ball back in your court - if it was the cyl, can you explain why changing it had no effect? If it was the cyl, why did changing the mixer solve the problem?

Sponsored Links
Back