Ply suspended floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to start work on my dining room and want to replace the floor. The current floor is a mix of chipboard and original floorboards (circa 1890).

There is a little bit of bounce in the middle of the floor which I'm hoping to take out. There is a single thickness brick wall running the full length of the room under in the middle to support the joists. Hopefully once the floor is up I can pack this a little if it needs it anywhere.

I intend to replace the whole floor in 18mm WBP and then put an underlay on top followed by a nice engineered oak floor.

When I'm fitting the ply sheets do I need to put noggins inbetween the joists and if so what thickness wood should I use?

Finally, there is a slight slope to the floor, which I'm not going to worry about if it is flat. However if the slope has a slight curve to it I'm worried that the new engineered floor will creak and bounce. What sort of margin would be OK? I dont really want to have to reset or replace the joists if I can help it.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'm also planning to staple chicken wire under the joists and then lay rockwool type insulation down while I'm at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back