which way for ply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen is 6.7m long x 1.9m wide and i'm replacing tongue/groove flooring with 25mm ply. Can i fix the long edge of the ply in the same direction as the floor joist and so on meeting half on joist, or is it best to go across ways to the floor joist which will mean adding noggins where ply boards meet?

Sponsored Links
Depends how firm your floor joists are. If there is any flexing at all then you should fix the long side of the ply across the joists to gain maximum benefit from the stiffest orientation of the ply.

Plywood always has an odd number of plys and there are more plys in the longitudinal direction (along the length) rather than the width. This means that plywood is stiffer along the length than it is across the width - if that makes sense.

Generally, you would lay the length of the ply accross the joists, the same as you would floorboards. but the joints should be staggered. i.e if you start with a full sheet in one corner and carried on to the end of the room, your next row should start with a half sheet, etc. etc. You'll have less waste this way also.

My kitchen is 6.7m long x 1.9m wide and i'm replacing tongue/groove flooring with 25mm ply. Can i fix the long edge of the ply in the same direction as the floor joist and so on meeting half on joist, or is it best to go across ways to the floor joist which will mean adding noggins where ply boards meet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back