Wooden Flooring Sub-base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install real wood flooring in a fairly large through lounge. The old floor boards are in pretty bad condition and not level, so I was going to take them all up and replace with 25mm Plywood - putting strips of wood on the joists where they are not level. I am going to put noggins between joists, and screw down the ply boards with screws.

a) Is this the right way to go about things?

b) Is WBP plywood the best to use for this, or can other ply's (shuttering etc) be used? Shuttering ply costs half as much as WBP, but i'm not sure if it's suitable as floorboard replacement.

c) Any other tips you can give me to prepare the base?

Cheers Guys

Sponsored Links
Since you are going the real wood route, try to find one that you can lay directly onto the existing joists, that way it will save the cost of plywood and you can then remove the old boards.

Mantamad said:
Since you are going the real wood route, try to find one that you can lay directly onto the existing joists, that way it will save the cost of plywood and you can then remove the old boards.
Minimum thickness of new boards: 18mm, maximum space between the centres of the joists: 35 cm, every board should connect with a minimum of 3 joists for stability.

wow, i didn't know you could attach the floor straight onto the joists. The wood we are looking at is solid oak 18mm so I guess this should be suitable.

a) What do we do if the edge of a board goes in between joists? Do we attach a noggin at this point?

b) Uneven levels of joists - Will this affect laying of the wood?

Many Thanks Guys

Sponsored Links
A) Don't ;) You will have to calculate extra 'saw-waste' to prevent this

B) Yes it will, but you could try to 'fill' it up to correct height

The wooden flooring we are looking at is tongue and grooved on all 4 sides, so if I saw off part of the board, how do I attach the next board to it?

Thanks for the help guys - i'm getting there slowly!

Sorry, my mistake. I read your other post wrong. Just glue the T&G together, no extra support needed when the join is not on a joist. As long as the width between the joist are not wider than 30 - 35 cm and the board does connect with at least three joist.
Hope this helps you better ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back