noggins for sub-floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had to rip up the chipboard in my shower room after a leak.
I'm replacing with wbp plywood.

Due to the floor being laid before the partition walls were built I've cut back the chipboard to the nearest joist by the wall plate as I was concerned about leaving unsupported sections that could not be removed entirely.

This mean that I'll need to screw additional pieces of wood to the joist to screw the new floor to.

Is there a specification for the wood used for this purpose?

I was going to purchase some C16 lengths of batten, treat with wood preserver and then screw them to the joists and then screw the plywood to them.

Sound good?

Sponsored Links
You dont need WBP Ply - ordinary CDX ply will do. You dont even need ply, the so called moisture resistant chipboard will also do. Any kind of continuous "leak" will destroy any board at roughly the same speed.

You can use tile roofing battens (or anything you have handy - no preservative needed) to support the edges.
Or cut down the centre of the joist - that will give you a min of 20m bearing.

If any board edges are going to end up floating in mid air then post a photo.

I've already bought the plywood so...

I'm fitting the noggins so that no board edge will be floating in mid air. I've aligned the cuts with the joist for the pieces that can't be removed.

btw, I wish people could decide between plywood, chipboard, OSB, water-resistant chipboard, etc. because after the leak multiple people had nothing but bad things to say about chipboard and advised me that since I was replacing the flooring I'd be wise to use ply so that's what I've done.

Ignorance is bliss and widespread - just read some of the imbecilic suggestions on here.
The building trades, like this forum, is full of chancers and hot googlers who dont particularly know what they are doing and certainly dont think about what they are doing.

Its not a matter of "deciding", you dont take a vote on technical issues.
Whatever, you've done the right thing for yourself so just carry on with the ply you've bought.
I only mentioned the alternatives to give you a choice.

By "leak multiple people" do you mean guys who came to fix your difficulties?

AAMOI: The old building trade magazines had nothing but bad things to say about ply.

Sponsored Links
btw, I wish people could decide between plywood, chipboard, OSB, water-resistant chipboard, etc. because after the leak multiple people had nothing but bad things to say about chipboard and advised me that since I was replacing the flooring I'd be wise to use ply so that's what I've done.
I think that chipboard has tended to get a bad rap because of the cowboy approch some builders adopt to installing it. If it is nailed down it will squeak eventually, if the joints aren't glued properly it will squeak eventually, if it is screwed down and there aren't enough fasteners it may squeak but it will bounce, if a non-moisture resistant grade is chosen it will be damaged by water (obviously), etc, etc. Like a lot of things if you understand the product, select the right grade and fit it correctly there really will be no problems. The naysayers tend not to have that understanding and bring their own often unfounded biases to the table IMHO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back