plying floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

A colleague asked me a question yesterday regarding plying a timber suspended floor prior to secret nailing engineered oak to it. The existing floor is 6x1 softwood floor boards throughout which are relatively untouched and extremely level throughout. The engineered is being laid at 90 degrees to the existing. Under these circumstances is absolutely necessary to lay ply first?

Sponsored Links
Good evening,

A colleague asked me a question yesterday regarding plying a timber suspended floor prior to secret nailing engineered oak to it. The existing floor is 6x1 softwood floor boards throughout which are relatively untouched and extremely level throughout. The engineered is being laid at 90 degrees to the existing. Under these circumstances is absolutely necessary to lay ply first?

Yes.

Sponsored Links

Because to secret nail properly, the subfloor needs to be as level and consistent as possible. Ply the floor and you'll get a uniform and consistent subsurface to which the wood can be fixed, resulting in a level finish and dramatically reducing the issues associated with expansion, contraction, lifting, bounce and peaking/gaping of the joints.

Thank you Crazydaze very informative. In answer to your question why JohnD, my colleague was asked the question by the customer whom is unhappy about the cost of having to ply the entire "except kitchen" ground floor of their house.

They just haven't budgeted for it and whilst they have paid for the oak floor already they are keen to get going with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back