Plywood behind rad.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to hang some heavy rads on a plasterboard wall. I plan on putting plywood behind the rad. Fixed to the studs. Is that better then 4x1timber. Has anyone used this technique before.

Sponsored Links
Find where the studs are and fix directly to it. Use a strong magnet to identify where the plasterboard screws are. Draw a vertical line between them all, drill a small hole and it'll either push through into the cavity (if in the wrong place) or push through into timber if in the right place (the stud). Use a quiet drill or hand drill when drilling an pay attention to get a proper feel of what you're drilling in to. Smell the pine, see the plasterboard drill dust change to pine, push only lightly, listen to the sound of the drilling.

Once you've identified where the studs are, use fixings long enough to go all the way through to the stud.

Your heavy radiator is to be made even heavier when filled with water.

Nozzle

Thanks do you mean fix the plywood to the studs? I can't marry the brackets up to the studs with needing the rads. In the centre of the windows.

yes screw the ply to the studs and a good idea to put no nails or similar on the ply before fixing to the plasterboard

Sponsored Links
Rather than plywood I've used 18mm MDF on numerous occasions for exactly that task. MDF offers better 'anti-pull-out' of the radiator bracket screws and there are no 'spelky' cut edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back