Plywood Ceiling Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been let down by a carpenter mate who was to help me fit a plywood ceiling. It would be three full 4 x 8 sheets, only one would need cutting , plus pieces to fill the alcoves either side of the chimney breast .

The existing ceiling is plasterboard which is warped so battens may be needed to give a level frame for the ply.

I would also want three other sheets cut and fitted to walls( I could do the fitting of these if needed but I would prefer they did the cutting)

I have no idea what sort of quote I am looking for or how long the job will take. I am thinking a day or so as I will give a hand holding the ply while being fixed.

I have seen quotes from £30 to £98 an hour and someone suggested £250 for the job. Others £500. It would be in South London . Any idea what would be a fair price ?

Sponsored Links
Why ply a ceiling?
If existing ceiling is warped then you would need to pull it down to see why and rectify.

I am using birch ply which has a very busy grain which come out brilliantly with grey stain and oil/wax finish.

The damage to the plasterboard was from a leak in the roof years ago which slightly bowed the plasterboard in a couple of places until it was detected. There has been no problem for years and I will be creating a loft space next to keep an eye on the roof

Sorry, but as we're not the ones doing the job, you need to contact several tradesmen near you for them to quote.

And you want to see evidence of their work; not that that helped one guy on here that was shown some lovely work, only to realise that it's obviously been done by someone else, after the job on his place was done so badly.

Sponsored Links
Double plaster board the ceiling then skim and paint white.

Anything else will look carp.

Andy

Just googled and it can look ok I think. Those gaps seem to form part of the effect so its got to be installed well.
fe37b0c4ca3dc426514e3c3d73e2d6fe--plywood-ceiling-basement-plywood-decor.jpg

Sorry but that is a massive fire risk. And in a kitchen as well. that is retarded thinking.

You can stain ply for get any finish you want I used a mahogany stain and wax on one room I paneled out and am used a grey stain and oil finish for a ceiling in another. I then coat the reverse with flame retardant.

Attachments

• WP_20171116_007.jpg
    WP_20171116_007.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 274
  • WP_20170201_011.jpg
    WP_20170201_011.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 318
No point in coating the reverse side, as it's already on fire before it gets through to that side; you'd need to see if the fire retardant spray could be applied after the coating you want. I can see where Motorbiking is coming from, but as everything else in the kitchen is wood, it shouldn't make a lot of difference.

I'm not sure how you'll do this, but you might want some sacrificial hardboard etc to make up a template for the sides of the room, but as to the existing ceiling, get the bowed section taken down, put in plasterboard and bond it etc, and then find the joists and mark them on the side walls. You can the either batten to make sure you've got the exact points you want, or screw straight through into the joists, but if you miss the joist, or don't get aa good fix, then you'd have to put another screw in, so better to batten the ceiling for fixing the ply rather than to deal with the bowed ceiling.

But I think the picture you posted of the kitchen showing a light colour might work better than a dark colour that will darken the room, and make the ceiling seem more closed in.

Perhaps, I should have asked - Why are you proposing ply instead of plasterboard?

I have been let down by a carpenter mate who was to help me fit a plywood ceiling. It would be three full 4 x 8 sheets, only one would need cutting , plus pieces to fill the alcoves either side of the chimney breast .

The existing ceiling is plasterboard which is warped so battens may be needed to give a level frame for the ply.

I would also want three other sheets cut and fitted to walls( I could do the fitting of these if needed but I would prefer they did the cutting)

I have no idea what sort of quote I am looking for or how long the job will take. I am thinking a day or so as I will give a hand holding the ply while being fixed.

I have seen quotes from £30 to £98 an hour and someone suggested £250 for the job. Others £500. It would be in South London . Any idea what would be a fair price ?

I'd consider £500 rather cheap to achieve anything remotely close to the photo magicmushroom posted even on your smaller area. Theres a lot of prep work involved and then the ply needs accurately machining on site once the ideal layout has been agreed upon. Then theres the cost of the materials and finish. You might want to talk to commercial shop fitters if you havent already, they may have more experience with this type of thing and might be prepared to do it on a weekend.

You need the correct grade birch ply. Most common is BB grade which has plug repairs in it, ideally you want S/BB.

You need the correct grade birch ply. Most common is BB grade which has plug repairs in it, ideally you want S/BB.

Notch, hope you dont mind me asking, but do you know of a supplier in the UK for S grade ply? I know its used for say, premium toy manufacturing and so on, but its like hens teeth to get ahold of so I've had to make do with B/BB most of the time. I even had one timber merchant chuckle when I asked for it..!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back