Plywood has gone furry, fibrous

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I left some plywood outside and it's gone very fibrous on the surface, is this normal?

The plywood is quite old as it was up my father's loft for years. (I think it was from originally some large packing containers)

I’m not worried about the piece I’ve left outside, but I’ve made a few workbenches out of the rest

Is there something wrong with it or has it got something on it?

ply.JPG

Sponsored Links
What"s wrong with it is that you left it outside where it has absorbed water and the grain has swelled. Your description of it as "fibrous" inclines me to think it may be something like Gaboon plywood (often mid to dark reddy-brown), which is fibrous and splintery, especially when cut across the grain. In the past it was often used for packing cases and the like in thicknesses from 4mm up to about 13mm because it was relatively cheap. I don't recall seeing it in thicker sheets
It isn't always particularly pleasant stuff to work with (due to the splinters), but it is pretty stable, although there is no guarantee that the glues used will be waterproof or damp proof

Last edited by a moderator:
What"s wrong with it is that you left it outside where it has absorbed water and the grain has swelled. Your description of it as "fibrous" inclines me to think it may be something like Gaboon plywood (often mid to dark reddy-brown), which is fibrous and splintery, especially when cut across the grain. In the past it was often used for packing cases and the like in thicknesses from 4mm up to about 13mm because it was relatively cheap. I don't recall seeing it in thicker sheets
thank you, this is 6mm thick

It was quite splintery when I cut it, but I'm no expert when it comes to woodworking!

Last edited:
I've seen a few pictures of decking that's gone fuzzy, is this the same thing?

Sponsored Links
I have seen decking do that when an aggressive pressure washer was used to clean it- That said, I was the person that used the aggressive pressure washer...

Soak any timber (or leave it outside for long enough the British climate) and you'll raise the grain

Agreed, I’ve got a tin of old varnish so I’ll seal the benchtops with that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back