plywood cieling in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small problem with my garage that I'm converting into a workshop. The ceiling, to make it fire proof, has been finished with an asbestos based board. While I know this is safe providing it doesn't crack, i'm worried about the potential of hitting it with a bit of metal and causing dust.

I also had a leak in the cieling above (that has now been fixed) that has left a damp, sagging area of board.

I'm looking to seal the ceiling and then reinforce it as safely as possible. But I've been warned about building regs with regards to fire proof ceiling. Could some one tell me what these are with respect to this plan?

1) PVA over the old asbestos to seal the surface, making sure no more dust escapes.
2) Fit marine grade plywood (or normal if it'll do) OVER the asbestos and screw it into the joists, through the existing board.
3) fiberglass (or otherwise seal) the joints in the board so that no dust can escape.
4) paint

Again, I'm using ply as opposed to plaster board as it'll add strength in the event I hit it with something.

Anyway, hope someone can let me know on the legality of this.

Cheers,
Sam.

Sponsored Links
Also, what agencies are available to remove asbestos sheeting (government maybe)?

and while I'm not looking for a quote, just an idea. would I be looking at around more than £500 to get this job done?

Cheers, Sam.

What you have by the sound of it is a cementitious board, not an AIB.
AIB's [unsealed board] are the ones you need to call NASA in to remove.
The panels you have just need disposing of in the correct way. Venting / transit routes, pressurised enclosures etc are not necessary.
If you go through your local yellow pages you will find someone who is licensed to remove and, more importantly in your case, dispose of asbestos.
They will be able to come and remove the panels, bag it up and take it away.
You shouldn't really do anything else. Drilling through is a definite no-no and covering it up in any way is just leaving trouble for the future.
Once it's out fix a new ceiling up straight to the joists- 15mm BG Fireline plasterboard [pink faced] will reinstate your ceiling and fire rating, go for either taper edged to have a go at tape & fill yourself or square edge for a skim finish.
If you're really worried about impact damage, put a second skin of Duraline plasterboard beneath it which will resist damage far more than standard board. Don't bother with ply as you can never get a nice finish on it.
Hope this helps.

Is there any way to know if this is a cementitious board for sure? because if it is, I can see it possible to pull it down with only a dust mask on.

I'm guessing theres charges involved if I have to get a profesional out to tell me if its safe to remove.

Plaster board does sound somewhat appealing (not that I've ever used it before). Is it as simple to install as they show in the DIY shows? hold it up and put some plasterboard screws through it?

Damn you asbestos :/

Sponsored Links
Take a photograph of it close up and post it, we'll have a look.
If it's got a paper like surface texture but is hard to touch, with tiny fibres and possibly little shiny specks then it is probably an asbestos based cement panel / fibre cement board, whatever you want to call it. It was widely used in these applications through the 60's, 70's [possibly even early 80's?] so there's a good chance you've got it.
I can't say 100% but you may be able to take it down yourself using respiratory protection and dispose of it through the local council waste depot. Phone local environmental health to check. They will probably come out to have a look for you and give you some advice.

Asbestos generates a fibrous dust when it loses it's integrity so provided the filter is more dense than the proven dimension of the dust [in microns] then that would be ok. Asbestos does not generate vapours but I can't really tell you what PPE you should use. A paper overall may seem a little OTT although it would prevent any fibres entering your home on your clothing so is a good idea, the approved contractors we've had on site have removed these types of panels in polo shirts and 3M dust masks but these were plastic faced so completely sealed. The best place to start is a fact finding call to a local removal contractor and/or LA EH dept.
You need to be sure you have the correct disposal method available to you before you start - this will include the proper marked red bags. Work the process back from the skip and that way you'll know if anything will scupper you part way through before you get to the point of no return, ie touching it! EH will likely want to check it before you start anyway. There is really nothing you can do with asbestos apart from deal with it properly. EH may insist on you have a 'Level 3' survey carried out - this is a destructive investigation where samples are taken and analysed to confirm the material. If so that could cost you a few hundred pounds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back