Plywood on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People,

I had a dining room, which was higher than my kitchen. I have broke the screed away and am now looking at ways of building the floor back up to match the kitchen.

The obvious choice is screed, on top of the existing concrete.

However, I have considered laying a DPM on the concrete, then some thin insulation (house is late 70's so doesn't originally have floor insulation) and then screwing plywood into the concrete.

Does this sound sensible or will the plywood rot over time? I have considered this method to prevent the floor tiles from getting so cold?

Also, do I butt the boards up to one another (just thinking about contraction and expansion).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What depth do you need to build up. Let's says it's 150 mm at moment I would lay 100mm insulation then a 50mm screed. If you fix ply on top of the insulation it will cause bumps and hollows as some parts will squash up more than others. You can put ply on top of the screed thats one way. Or let's say you have only 75mm you could lay 50mm x50mm runners fixed and straightened at 600mm centers then fill in between with something like polystyrene or Rockwood Batts then lay 22mm chipboard

It looks like, I have about 30mm to build up.

Is chipboard suitable for laying tiles directly on?

Sponsored Links
You can lay tiles on chipboard as an option you can get insulation for laying tiles on top of like warm up available from tops tiles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back