Plywood thickness required to ply hard wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey what thickness of plywood do I need to ply a chipboard floor before I tile it. I want to use the thinest I can get away with.

Sponsored Links
i would say 12mm minimum, so why not go 1 better and remove your chipboard and replace with 19 or 15mm ply, you would get a 100% better job at the end of the day mate

Would thinner plywood not be ok if I use a flexible ashesive and grout. was hoping to get away with 6mm as don't want a massive set up to the bathroom. removing the original floor would be to much for my diy skills.

Would thinner plywood not be ok if I use a flexible ashesive and grout. was hoping to get away with 6mm as don't want a massive set up to the bathroom. removing the original floor would be to much for my diy skills.

If you want to use 6mm boards, use 6mm tile backer boards more expensive than 6mm ply but 100% better suited for the job mate

Sponsored Links
Would be interested to know how the OP got on. Our bathroom floor has been tiled onto chipwood floor (previous owner) and cracks have appeared in the grouting and they move now. This post answers my question but wondered if it solved their problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back