plywood to plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix a couple of full size plywood sheets (4mm) to a plasterboard wall. They are shorter than the wall so the gap will be at the bottom.

I was going to screw them to the plasterboard using plasterboard plugs every 8 inches or so but it has been suggested that I could use some sort of adhesive like Gripfit or Gorilla Glue which means I will not have the problem of the screwheads showing.

But I am not sure about the weight. Nothing wil be attached to the boards but as they dont reach the floor the adhesive will have to hold the weight of the board.

Any advise ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Okay; what's the purpose of this exercise first. Consider using gun grade foam adhesive.

The plaster boards had chipwood paper, now stripped and have been damaged over the years. The ply will be stained and oiled.

Any particular make ? And I can forget the screws !

You want a low expansion grade adhesive foam, something like this, and as long as you push the plywood against the plasterboard whilst it sticks, you should get away without the screws. If there's going to be a gap at the bottom, then make sure the board is supported first.

Sponsored Links
When using foam adhesive , apply and wait 2-3 minutes before fixing to allow for any expansion. You will need to cut scraps of timber to wedge underneath to hold in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back