POinters please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I should be able to put a PC together, but I haven't, in modern times. The imaging stuff I use it for benefits from multi core processors, eg:

Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad: Time = 16 minutes and 15 seconds.
Intel Core i7 2600K (Quad): Time = 7 minutes and 30 seconds.
Those times will go up x2 or x4 as files get bigger. My current P4 2.6GHz I have to leave overnight.

So I need a box and psu and board and chip and 8-16GB ram, maybe a SSHD or two, external SATA port(s), firewire, UDMA. Couple of TB inside the box I suppose.

Not a lot of use for games or sound, but a high-res big screen, maybe video editing.

So should I plug it together or get someone else to? Is there somewhere I can go to get instructions, and help with setting up? Is it, like, I mean, HARD??????

Sponsored Links
It's not overly difficult, unless you make it difficult.

However, when working with up to several thousand pounds of equipment, are you sure you want to do it yourself?

Shipping's a pain, but I'm always happy to build a big fancy box.

EH?
I'm asking for pointers to what's involved. I don' t understand what you're saying.

However, when working with up to several thousand pounds of equipment, are you sure you want to do it yourself?
Why not? I'm used to electrostatic precautions, is there anything else?

Is there a site perhaps with a forum which gives useful instructions /support on putting the bits together?

EH?
I'm asking for pointers to what's involved. I don' t understand what you're saying.

I'm saying unless you choose difficult components, it's easy.

Why not? I'm used to electrostatic precautions, is there anything else?

Is there a site perhaps with a forum which gives useful instructions /support on putting the bits together?

None I'm familiar with. Never needed one anyway..

If you're comfortable with actually assembling it yourself, then go ahead and put together a list of parts and I can advise from there.

You will need, as a minimum: Case, power supply (DO NOT use a cheap one, especially not one supplied with a case), motherboard, CPU, RAM, optical drive(s), OS/storage SSD/HDD(s), video card (assuming you require a dedicated one, rather than onboard), aftermarket CPU heatsink, TIM (Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique are good choices). You may need additional parts (Firewire card, eSATA card) depending on your choice of motherboard. Don't be tempted to fork out silly amounts of money on the board to get these, cards are often cheaper and better quality than integrated.

I recommend sticking to Intel chipsets for the motherboard, don't be tempted by cheaper nVidia boards.

The actual assembly is relatively easy, normally. Connectors are keyed, none require any significant insertion force unless you're unlucky (some are tighter than others), you basically only need a PH2 screwdriver for most things. It can be tight, especially if you choose to fit the heatsink after installing the motherboard.

Normally I'd test-fit the PSU first to settle on cable routing and then, if I can't get all its cables clear, remove it before installing other parts.

Sponsored Links
Back