Pointing a stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a terrace house. As you look from the front the house to. The left is the end house and with that we share a stack... Ok that I know.
If you look to the right.... the terrace has their own stack.... 25- 30 feet from my shared stack.
Last month I noticed a piece of metal half way down my roof, I went to neighbour because it was the corner piece of flashing from her stack. I had been inside got my binnies out and could see where the brick was cleaner plus a piece of flashing was missing lol.
I also said to neighbour... You need your pointing doing too.

Workmen turned up with Mickey Mouse tower scaffolding, slammed and crashed it all over my new roof, I asked the men to take care as I didn't want broken or displaced tiles, whilst I was watching I thought I heard my neighbour say... Oh but that side isn't mine. Long story nearly at an end.... Bet you guessed 3 sides have been pointed but not the side that faces me.

Question should they have pointed all the stack as it is theirs.... I mean if her chimney was blocked I wouldn't pay to have it swept.

She thinks she's being a smart arse, but the houses are attached so any water ingress would affect her home to.

Me, I'm not that bothered as we hope to oven the next year.

But I'm getting fed up of hearing " oh she thought we were going to fix her side" I mean its borders my roof but its absolutely a single stack.... Her stack.

What do you guys say .
TIA

Sponsored Links
Seems like it may be her stack but your flashing

When our roof was replaced 2 years ago the guys replace the flashing round the stack. The stuff that fell off was more like old thin tin. What the men put on was lead.

So are. They responsible for all the pointing, I mean her flue runs up it , her aerials are all lashed to it, but she wants me to pay towards pointing.

Like I said we are moving soon, I can't stand her

There`s now`t as queer as folk - even down here in Sussex . On the Burwash road out of Heathfield is a pair of cottages ( semis) half the chimney has a flashing - front apron , back gutter the lot - the other half has a ropey back gutter and some tiles pugged on . It`s been like that since the 70`s when my boss fell out with the neighbour of a house we were doing up - Told me to do just half the chimney :LOL: It`s stll like it :p

Sponsored Links
There`s now`t as **** as folk - even down here in Sussex . On the Burwash road out of Heathfield is a pair of cottages ( semis) half the chimney has a flashing - front apron , back gutter the lot - the other half has a ropey back gutter and some tiles pugged on . It`s been like that since the 70`s when my boss fell out with the neighbour of a house we were doing up - Told me to do just half the chimney :LOL: It`s stll like it :p
Roflmao :mrgreen:

Thanks guys.... Woody, it is her chimney, but she feels because half of it sits on my roof I should pay half, my chimney which is right over the other side of the house, sits half on my other neighbours roof,( we share stack with end house) when the pointing needed doing.... I got whole lot done...... And paid for it.

When she let gypsies change gutters and soffits she expected my husband to keep fixing them when water poured out. I had warned her beforehand about letting travellers loose on the property..... Did she listen.... Did she hell, we ended up paying to have a reputable firm replace ours and make good the joints. The gypsies left the gutters running up hill towards drainpipes.

She is what you call the neighbour from hell.....all her cheap work ends up costing us money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back