Pointing Composite stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning all,
I have just hacked off the front of my house because of dampness issues.
Underneath the render I have discoverer that the original finish was Gower conglomerate stone with brick around the door and windows. We have decided to keep it looking this way, but I am having conflicting reports on the best way to finish it.
I am going to have the walls sand blasted to give it a good finish but don't know what is the best option when it comes to pointing. My builder suggest that it will be best to point it with lime mortar as that is what would have been used when the house was built in the early 1800's and then spray it with a water proofer. I thought the idea of the lime mortar would have been to let the house breathe and that spraying it would have trapped in any moisture. Again if I don't spray it am I again going to have problems with damp??
I would be grateful for any advice that's available.
Complements of the season to you all

Roger

Sponsored Links
Will sandblasting not be to aggressive towards the weathering finish of the masonry?

I do believe that thomsons water seal and the like do allow a degree of 'breathability'.

Also, do you need to ask why it was rendered in the first place?

Re-pointing with lime/cement pointing sounds ok.

The cement render could have been trapping the moisture. Lime mortar will help it breathe. I would try it without a sealer first. Siloxane sealers are said to allow some breathing.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your replies. There are not that many stone clad houses left around here so your suggestions are going a long way to help me make my mind up on what to do.
A merry Christmas to you all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back