Pointing disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BC65B860-E93E-4DDF-9E56-CD98B85901AE.jpeg
having a nightmare Pointing this nori brick. Shows up every imperfection was hoping the mortar tone would hide it but drying dull. Intend to line putty the joints. Looks decent wet. Any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• 72BF9F6E-84AE-4F91-B6B2-015113350FB0.jpeg
    72BF9F6E-84AE-4F91-B6B2-015113350FB0.jpeg
    511.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 5D967024-53B0-4F9C-9A28-06E1659C5E60.jpeg
    5D967024-53B0-4F9C-9A28-06E1659C5E60.jpeg
    424.4 KB · Views: 193
Sponsored Links
Might clean-up with brick acid... dilute to start with.

You deserve a pat on the back for attempting to point that, a bloke up the street has this pointing... (I had to look it up), looks hardwork to redo.

having a nightmare Pointing this nori brick. Shows up every imperfection was hoping the mortar tone would hide it but drying dull. Intend to line putty the joints. Looks decent wet. Any suggestions appreciated.

Looks good to me, might you be being over critical?

A mate of mine is pointer. When ever he works with a lime mix, he washes the walls with brick acid.

I recently painted the windows at a property that he was pointing with regular sand and cement. The bricks were flettons. In advance of the job, he knew that he would have to use the brick acid.

He brushes it on and hoses off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the feedback. It's a right ballake. I'll try acid see how it goes. Does anyone know a way of making the brick appear wet?, that would look well.

Fyi anyone trying to point nori you need to be on it cleaning the brick. I've found doing the beds first one row at a time then cleaning is best especially in hot weather. Pic below is today's Effort came out better not sure if I've got it cleaned More or just because these bricks aren't as weathered

this sorry

Attachments

• 4CF4124B-70A8-4A4E-AC6C-C11F575D66E7.jpeg
    4CF4124B-70A8-4A4E-AC6C-C11F575D66E7.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 203
I think its good.

You could try Thompsons water seal when you've done, it adds a little sheen.
That said, stone sealer will probably do the same.

(y)

That last picture looks better, leave it a few days after pointing to give it a clean, if using acid try it diluted 3/1 first, and make sure you rinse afterwards, if using any sealer on brickwork make sure its clean first as any marks will be hard to remove afterwards, i'd just let it weather myself, it would have been better to have cleaned the brickwork first with a pressure washer/acid, and give a light clean after pointing.

Thanks everyone. I'll try the suggestions out and post updates. Much appreciated

That last picture looks better, leave it a few days after pointing to give it a clean, if using acid try it diluted 3/1 first, and make sure you rinse afterwards, if using any sealer on brickwork make sure its clean first as any marks will be hard to remove afterwards, i'd just let it weather myself, it would have been better to have cleaned the brickwork first with a pressure washer/acid, and give a light clean after pointing.
Sorry to be a pain, can recommend a acid and how you apply it? Do you need to scrub like mad

Wet the wall first, then apply the diluted acid (try on a small area first which ratio about 3 or 4 to 1) with a softish sweeping brush, no need to scrub like mad then rinse off before it dries, you would be better to leave it for a few weeks before cleaning, i buy this acid from Toolstation 10% content.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back