Wooden work surface disaster - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hope someone can help!

Earlier this evening I tried to remove some mould stains from a beech work-top using a solution of water, bicarbonate of soda and washing up liquid.

When the wet patches dried out they were significantly lighter than the rest of the wood, looking chalky and dull. I'm not sure whether the soap has stained the wood or if it has cut through the surface finish causing the dulling, *or* whether the bicarbonate has bleached the wood. When I re-wet the faded area the colour returns to normal (until it dries) .

Is sanding it down my only option? I'm house-sitting for someone and need to fix it before they return next week!

Any help /opinions/suggestions greatly appreciated! :)

Sponsored Links
How long have you been there such that mould has started already?

Don't risk doing any more damage and come clean when they get home.

And don't offer to house sit again unless you clean up after yourself so that mould doesn't occur.

Sponsored Links
Its fixable, with the correct skills & time. If its a small section ie next to sink/cooker, you could sand it & re seal. Linseed oil may not be the correct product, I use Danish oil & I am redoing my worktops as we speak.
Have a look on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=danish+oil+on+kitchen+worktop

There are some very good clips, it does take time, but it will look different from the rest of the worktop, so I think you will have to do it all.
I think it may be best to wait for the home owners to return & tell them you can do if they want.

Agree with Diyisfun.

Sand it and use 2 or 3 coats of Danish Oil, not linseed oil. I found it cheapest in Wickes but maybe someone else knows better. V Easy to apply, just wipe it on with a soft cloth and leave overnight.

Looks lovely when finished, but as with any oiled wood, it needs to be regularly re-applied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back