Pointing Narrow Gap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a cavity wall that's going to need repointing when the weather improves.

Some of the horizontal gaps between bricks are very narrow indeed. (Perhaps 5-3mm?) I'm wondering how the guys doing the pointing will a) Get the old mortar out. b) Get new mortar in.

http://i57.tinypic.com/21jdm42.jpg

Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Possibly use an angle grinder to rip out the old stuff but this can damage the brick face in unskilled or careless hands.

Doesn't look like it needs repointing to me?

There's a zillion ways of getting it out - hand tools, angle grinder, angle grinder with diamond gougey thing, hardened nail on some wheels, etc.

Getting it back in isn't hard either, just need the right sized bed of mortar to cut your bit from.

Only thing about pointing is if it's done crap it's very visible so make sure they use the appropriate level of care and attention to detail.

I like the multitool oscillating cutter with the silicon carbide edged half disk - less dust and more control than an angle grinder or other rotating chasers.

You can always pipe a soft plasticised mortar into a narrow crack, either with an "icing bag"-type mortar piping bag, or an applicator or mortar grouting gun.

Sponsored Links
Could be my eyesight, but those joints look bigger than 3-5 mm. You would normally have around 10mm with LBC's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back