Pointing of Sandstone Slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A complete novice here.

I am re-pointing my sandstone patio. After doing a bit of research, looks like I should be using a semi-dry mix to avoid staining. My question is, for sandstone, can I simply use a cement/sand mix or should I be thinking of a lime mortar mix?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Use a 4-1 sand cement mix that just holds together when you squeeze it. Use a piece of thin wood to "tamp" the mix between the joints and force it in. Make yourself something to point the joints up with (maybe a piece of rounded wood or a bit of half inch copper pipe bent a little). Have a bucket of clean water and a sponge ready and when you have pointed the slabs just gently wipe any marks off with the damp sponge as you go.
Check out my album "copings on top of retaining wall" ;)

It always cracks and looks naff. Best brushing sand in every now and again.

It always cracks and looks naff. Best brushing sand in every now and again.

It only cracks joe if the slabs are not laid properly and are not solid, then they rock or there is a slight movement in them and the "grout" will crack up....

Sponsored Links
At least 4 inches of compacted roadstone grit and an inch of sharp sand. But has it? Not only that you have drainage problems with mortar whereas sand lets the water drain away. Your choice really.

At least 4 inches of compacted roadstone grit and an inch of sharp sand. But has it? Not only that you have drainage problems with mortar whereas sand lets the water drain away. Your choice really.
No drainage probs if you set your falls right when setting out. ;)

Job done. Went with 4:1 sand:cement.

I'm not laying the slabs, I let a professional do that a number of years ago :). They've been down for nearly 10 years, just needed re-pointed. No problems with drainage.

Thanks for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back