Grouting Sandstone Slabs

seek and you will find....i must do a sticky on it. sorry its been a very long summer and weve answered it one or two times before!

Sponsored Links
The main reason I asked (rather than just go along with it) is that Stonemarket, who manufacture the blumin stuff, recommend a 40mm sharp sand base and therefore I wondered (a) why and (b) what the advantages of each alternative is...

it can be laid on there but you will get a much more permanent result that will not move if you mortar them down. If there is no movement then the pointing will not break up either. which slabs are they?

Ah, no sorry, Stonemarket mean 40mm sharp sand bed and then mortar down onto this base. However, your advice seems to be mortar straight onto compacted mot/hardcore.

I wondered which was best/differences in method.

They're the new 'Horizon' slabs (machine cut on 6 sides, very smooth, buff sandstone).

Sponsored Links
if you saw a compacted bed of hardcore/mot next to a compacted bed of sharp sand youd know. trust me and wabbitpoo, we lay them for a living (quite a few divisions of football pitches by know i should think)

Well yes. Absolutely! Although I've never seen the two things to compare, it makes complete sense what you suggest.

Thanks for hangin' in there for all us novices! We certainly appreciate all the advice from people who do this stuff day in, day out.

Cheers mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back