Pointing patio stones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Need some advice as I need to point some patio slabs (heritage Calder Brown paving). What is the correct mix of sand/cement (I have been advised 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1 and 6:1 from different sources), the gaps are about 1/2 inch. Also how wet should the mixture be? Would a dry mix be suitable or do you need to add some water? is it ok to use washed plastering sand?
many thanks in advance
Tony

Sponsored Links
The best way to point a patio is to make a joint with the bedding mortar, then point it as you lay, allowing say 30 min's drying time before you strike the joint. This is how bricks are laid and it means that the pointed joint is connected to the bed joint, is very strong and will last a lifetime.

The next best thing is to point after with a stiffish mix but not bone dry. This can be trowelled in tight then struck. The joints should be damp but not surface wet, i.e. if you have to damp them down with a light hosing allow the excess to dry off a bit first.

The worst possible way is to brush in some dry rubbish into dry joints. This won't last 12 months.

Mortar loves water.

Sponsored Links
lol thank christ he never took steves advice :.do you make these ids up so they can give incorrect information and you noseall can correct it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back