Pointing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need to do a bit of re-pointing but don't know how to go about matching the existing colour. Photo attached - is this a 'standard' mix I can buy somewhere or any tips on how to replicate it? Many thanks

IMG_8581.JPG

Sponsored Links
It'll just be local sand and cement mix. Go to your local builders merchant and have a look at their sand.
Lime was not really used in the 1950s so you don't have to worry about that.
Then it's just the case of making a small mix and seeing what colour it dries.

Thanks Tomfe -

So if I can get sand which is similar, will the cement need to be white (e.g snowcrete) to avoid 'greying' the mix? Will it then just be the ratios I need to alter for the 'test mixes', e.g 3:1, 4:1 & 5:1 (or somewhere in between)?

Sorry I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You will never ever match it. Sand today, comes from different pits and completly different locations, and there are several factors at play in the mixing, pointing and absorbency too.

That mortar looks more yellow than grey, so use a yellow building sand, not red. You dont need white cement, it will make little difference, but a bit of buff dye could be more beneficial

One thing I've found from experience, is that it's pointless testing a sample if it's not on the same bricks, as the same mix dries a different shade on different suction/type of bricks. Then again maybe it's my eyes, but I'd be interested to know if that's usual

One thing I've found from experience, is that it's pointless testing a sample if it's not on the same bricks, as the same mix dries a different shade on different suction/type of bricks. Then again maybe it's my eyes, but I'd be interested to know if that's usual

Thats right. Even a test panel or piece can be different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back