Pole to Pole

This looks so much fun. I can only dream.

Never seen a red sky like that in Asheville.

Sponsored Links
This looks so much fun. I can only dream.

Never seen a red sky like that in Asheville.
The longest road trip i ever had was on a family holiday in 1975: New York to Denver via St. Louis, then back through Kansas-Kentucky, in a big ol' Cadillac, christened 'the Banana Boat'. God knows what that gas-guzzling beast did to the environment but it was huge fun. I didn't make it to Asheville til many years later and that place changed everything for me. Hippy heaven; you'd love it....fresh mountain air and all the room you'll ever need for yoga bare. Makes you feel alive.:mrgreen:

The longest road trip i ever had was on a family holiday in 1975: New York to Denver via St. Louis, then back through Kansas-Kentucky, in a big ol' Cadillac, christened 'the Banana Boat'. God knows what that gas-guzzling beast did to the environment but it was huge fun. I didn't make it to Asheville til many years later and that place changed everything for me. Hippy heaven; you'd love it....fresh mountain air and all the room you'll ever need for yoga bare. Makes you feel alive.:mrgreen:
That does sound exciting

I met an Irish man driving for New York to Colorado. He gave us a lift from Denver to Bolder.

Driven middle north east south Australia including Tas. But that's about it of anything to speak of.
Honda CRV Mk1 I loved that car

That does sound exciting

I met an Irish man driving for New York to Colorado. He gave us a lift from Denver to Bolder.

Driven middle north east south Australia including Tas. But that's about it of anything to speak of.
Honda CRV Mk1 I loved that car
If you've been to Denver you can, technically, claim to be a member of the 'Mile High Club'. :cool:

On another trip in '78, we picked up an old miner hitching in the Mojave Desert and he sat with me in the back of a Chevy van, offered me a twist of tobacco that looked like an old tree root and laughed when i shook my head. He looked like he'd been out in the sun for a hundred years and i can only guess his age was somewhere between 60 and 100 but even my dad struggled to lift his backpack. That old guy was made out of leather and steel.
The sunsets in the desert were astonishing: full of colour but the night sky was the best: no light pollution and it felt like you were camping in the middle of the universe. An incredible environment...so long as the A/C keeps working and you don't break down.

Sponsored Links
Happy World EV Day everyone!

We wanted to recognise all of the amazing work that is going on all over the world by so many incredibly passionate individuals and businesses to accelerate the adoption of electric mobility and to educate and share their knowledge with others...We always say that if you haven’t tried driving an EV yet, then give it a go. It’s the age old saying of “don’t knock it until you’ve tried it”. Over a decade ago we gave one a go and have never looked back, and we’ve even driven from London to Southern Siberia in a 90mile range EV.

Biomuseo_cEricMohl_header.jpg

Panama City, Panama - the oldest continuously occupied European settlement on the Pacific coast of the Americas.

I saw 'Long Way Round' in '07 and thought their trip through Siberia was completely mad. They spent a great deal of time pushing the bikes through all kinds of weather. At least this car will have a better chance of keeping dry.:mrgreen: Those tyres are a metre wide!
I don't get the hate towards electric cars. The standard battery of the souped-up version in this vehicle will give you a range of 320 miles: Clarkson's Mustang could only manage 140 miles before it needed a refill.
I met with David Thomas on Sunday and his Austin Minivan "Silent Wish". His words about McGregor and Foreman was not particularly complimentary - which I knew and is obvious or how else would they get the detail on film they did. David Thomas did it all off on his own back once he had set off.

I wouldn't fancy travelling across Siberia in a mini but this road looks awesome.

323118427_860202835041396_952739271295023283_n.jpg

Happy World EV Day everyone!

We wanted to recognise all of the amazing work that is going on all over the world by so many incredibly passionate individuals and businesses to accelerate the adoption of electric mobility and to educate and share their knowledge with others...We always say that if you haven’t tried driving an EV yet, then give it a go. It’s the age old saying of “don’t knock it until you’ve tried it”. Over a decade ago we gave one a go and have never looked back, and we’ve even driven from London to Southern Siberia in a 90mile range EV.

Biomuseo_cEricMohl_header.jpg

Panama City, Panama - the oldest continuously occupied European settlement on the Pacific coast of the Americas.

Show @bod this, and he'll complain about shoddy building standards :D

[We're] now approaching the Colombian Ecuadorian border crossing. It was sad to say goodbye to Colombia. We had a great time there. Yes, we had EV charging challenges, but we found solutions and got through it with the help of both our partners Nissan in Colombia and Enel X Way. We are now approaching our 11th country, which is Ecuador. We are super excited to be visiting here and a little anxious too because of the recent negative media. Having sought local advice, we hear that Ecuador is a safe country to pass through. For us it is case of let’s go visit and find out.

At least they made it through without bumping into the Cartel; although, since Columbia decided to legalise the noble weed i imagine many of them have gone green :mrgreen:

XzA2MTcuSlBH.jpg

There is lots of talk/questioning about the responsible use of lithium for electric car batteries. However, did you know that approx 168 million disposable vapes were sold in the U.K. last year. Each vape has approx a 0.5Ah 3.7v rechargeable lithium battery inside. Thats a colossal 310MWh of lithium batteries produced for the U.K. alone each year, 50% of which are simple thrown away, just for the purposes of vaping.
That’s the equivalent of almost 6200 EV batteries a year being thrown in the rubbish.
EV’s eliminate tailpipe emissions and improve air quality in cities. Vapes increase plastic waste, add to landfill and damage people’s health.

Nicaragua have just banned vapes and perhaps the UK will follow suit, not just banning vapes but raising the legal age to buy tobacco, too.

After another long day, it felt great to wake up in Peru. This is country number 12 on the expedition and already we can see a dramatic change in the landscape. We have been use to traversing lush green landscapes and now we find ourselves in the desert. This change means so much more though, as we now need to recalibrate our thinking regarding the cars drivable distance as the roads are mostly long and flattish, but with strong head winds. This means our driving styles and eco-driving techniques need to change to accommodate this.

It’s going to amazing crossing this country and meeting up with the Enel X Way Peru team along the way. Thanks to their support we have chargers across Peru, like this 7kw charger at the Casa Andina Hotel in Piura, which is available for other EV drivers to use now too. From the beginning legacy is what we strived to achieve on this expedition, and it is truly amazing to see legacy being created here in Peru in collaboration with Enel X Way.

000065142W.jpg

Rush hour.

As diesel dinosaurs explode in flames in Luton, our plucky pair are making their way to Lima, untroubled with such antiquities.

GettyRF_636113862.jpg

Now EV drivers in Peru, and EV drivers passing through Peru have both 60kw DC and 7kw AC chargers along the Pan American highway, making this route so much easier to traverse. :mrgreen:

The plucky pair will be mucho pleased to be many, many miles from home today as Aberdeen floats on a sea of rain thanks to Climate Change but all is well in their world...Checking out Barranco, a colorful, funky, trendy, bohemian suburb of Lima in Peru. We loved it there. There were plenty of shops, craft stalls and eateries. We ate the best fried rice we have ever tasted at a place called Canta Ranita. The artwork is incredible and there is such a nice vibe walking around the area and so close to the coast too.

guide-to-barranco-bohemian-district-exploor-peru-art.png

Despite wild claims and fake news on other threads, the car just keeps on truckin' without spontaneously combusting, although they've had to recently replace the tyres - after 35,000km. :mrgreen:

They're about as far as you can get from the madness around the rest of the world...

shutterstockRF_358784012.jpg

...travelling through the Atacama desert. Nothing but sand as far as the eye can see. It's basically a giant cat litter tray, really.
"I spy with my little eye, something beginning with 'S'."

Sponsored Links
Back