Pole to Pole

No, cars aren't a contributor to the ozone layer but doing something about the damage caused by cfc's has helped to begin a healing process which will see the O-layer brought back to 1980 levels, which is an example for developing the technology for improved electric vehicles.
This journey will help to test the existing technology and find ways to improve it in order to answer the tricky questions you ask...i heard a suggestion that one way to dump excess carbon dioxide would be in huge containers under the North Sea. What could possibly go wrong?

Sponsored Links
I don't hate EVs.

Clakker's Mustang - no-queue fuelling everywhere, another 140 miles in 5 minutes tops.

Battery swaps, or hydrogen fuel cells, for me anyway.
An answer to your question regarding battery life may be closer than we think...

AA19Ol4w.img

StoreDot, an Israeli start-up working on advanced battery technology, is set to start manufacture of its silicon-dominant extreme fast charging (XFC) batteries. And when it says 'extreme', it really means it. Aiming to make electric vehicle batteries quicker at charging, StoreDot has an ambitious goal of 100 miles of range in five minutes by 2024, with an overall goal of 100 miles of range in two minutes by 2032.
Samples of the 30mAh battery pouches have been shipped to StoreDot’s automotive partners for further testing, following 1,000 cycles of charge and discharge back in October 2022. The technology is set to go into production next year.
Since EV batteries are often the most expensive component of the car too, having fewer will make switching to electric more accessible. StoreDot estimates that around $4,500 (£3,600) could be saved in manufacturing costs. That comes from downsizing the battery pack from, for example, 80kWh to 50kWh, saving 200 kilograms.
Being able to recharge more quickly is the company's overarching goal, as it reckons by being able to charge more quickly, battery packs will be smaller. That’ll mean less weight in the car, enabling electric vehicle range to be optimised. StoreDot's solution uses a silicon anode that's cheaper to manufacture than the precious metals used in other batteries. It's also lightweight, more environmentally friendly and doesn't degrade in the same way as other materials used, like graphite.

Being able to recharge more quickly is the company's overarching goal, as it reckons by being able to charge more quickly, battery packs will be smaller. That’ll mean less weight in the car, enabling electric vehicle range to be optimised. StoreDot's solution uses a silicon anode that's cheaper to manufacture than the precious metals used in other batteries. It's also lightweight, more environmentally friendly and doesn't degrade in the same way as other materials used, like graphite.

Technological advances cannot be predicted with certainty and many of the people currently selling technology are charlatans, and our governments are in thrall to them. These charlatans are currently draining all of the west's wealth slowly and steadily with their unholy magick. The likes of Bill Gates have had billions from our and other countries' treasuries and we have nothing to show for it, just people miserable and freezing because they cannot afford gas, electricity and other basics of civilisation. It's the new paradigm: we are all working for these people.

Boris and co. threw away £37 billions on the covid "test and trace" system and what have we got to show for that? Nothing, absolutely nothing. These consultants did well though...

Odds, you've been had.

Sponsored Links
While our plucky adventurers make their way south a recent article highlights the challenges facing everyday travellers in EVs...
Electric cars are being written off for having the slightest damage to battery packs following accidents because there is no way of repairing them, according to a report by Reuters.

It said insurance companies are increasingly being left with little to no choice but to permanently take the cars off the road after minor collisions, which in turn is pushing premiums on electric vehicles (EVs) higher. (Between february 2022 to January 2023 the average cost of insuring a Tesla jumped by 33% to £1,086; while the cost of insuring your average planet killing vehicle increased by 14% to £618.

Edmund King, president of the AA, is less convinced by the news agency's investigation and told This is Money that some of claims being made were 'over hyped'. 'If you look at some of the salvage pictures these cars would have been written off even if they were petrol or diesel cars,' he said. 'On EVs the battery can, in effect, form part of the chassis, so if there is serious structural damage it might mean the car is written off. However, we know that Ford, GM and others are working on repairable battery packs.

'There are plenty of Nissan Leaf EVs on the market still going strong having done more than 100,000 miles. After-life car batteries can also be used for static energy storage systems linked to solar panels. Nissan set up a backup power supply for Amsterdam Stadium using used Leaf batteries.'

Mr King also believes the battery recycling industry is growing, despite there being no official recycling facilities in the UK at present.

Earlier this month it was confirmed that Nottingham Trent University has received almost £600,000 funding as part of a wider £4.5million research project to establish a process to recycle or reuse EV batteries.

[email protected]

The high prices of EVs is still the largest stumbling block to wider use. A report by Auto Trader found them to be 37% more expensive than carbon coughers and 'experts' highlighted the lack of affordable choices, with the number of new models priced between £20-30,000.
This will have to change quickly if the government target to ban petrol and diesel cars by 2030, and the manufacture of hybrids by 2035 is to be successful. From 2024, car makers will have to ensure 22% of sales are EVs, rising to 28% in 2025, 80% in 2030 and 100% electric by 2035.

Although 8,600 charging stations were added last year, the number required is very far from what is required - only 1 charging point for every 30 vehicles exists at the moment, although the number has doubled since 2020. There are just over 40,000 charging points nationally; far short of the 300,000 target by 2030.

There's a long way to go, for sure, but now the journey has begun it cannot be stopped...the number of diesel cars registered in the UK has fallen by 40% in the last five years and petrol cars by 25% while the number of hybrids sold in the UK has risen to 1.2m and electric cars to around 700,000.

Our plucky Brits Scottish adventurers have reached 'WOKE' Central...

map_vancouver-province.jpg

...Vancouver. A fine city to refresh and recharge their mighty batteries, frolic with local wildlife, buy a new pair of driving sandals before setting off into the Wilds of Washington State. The only problem driving through Canada was hitting a hidden rock that took out a front tyre.
No updates in regard to their supply of Rowies. Saving the planet isn't easy. Send baked goods.:mrgreen:

Now entering the bastion of radical resistance to the Republican insanity: Portland.
Driving through the Yakama Territory, about 100 miles north-west...

9a5b12d241518b9158a07e501f258557--washington-state-native-american.jpg

Over 3,000 miles in to the journey and still going strong, thanks to the Juice Booster 2 - a handy piece of kit to keep them motoring along at a steady rate.

"Happy we received a successful charge at Dream Nissan Legends in Kansas City as we continue our journey East. Thank you to all staff at the dealership for being so helpful and welcoming. Ready for the night drive and short naps in the car. "

Over 5000 miles into the journey and they seem to be taking the scenic route to the South Pole...or they wanted to see Arrowhead stadium, home of the Superbowl Champ's. Go Chiefs!

kansas-city-blog-post-.jpg

Kansas City: Missouri. No, i don't know why, either.

Herself has been all a-flutter this week as our intrepid eco-travellers hit home turf: Asheville.
The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of the great driving roads of the world and the views of the Great Smoky National Park are stunning...

Bloomin-ma.jpg

On a clear day you can see for miles and miles and...

blue-ridge-pkwy-e1524244676313.jpg

Closing in on 6,000 miles and on roads like this the travelling is a doddle: paying around $50 a night to camp and no extra charge for charging up they went through Asheville just to see more of the magnificent mountains, then back to enjoy the Hippie paradise to the max.
Back on the road they're using fuel stops to stock up on snacks, and one of the best things about an American Road Trip are the Hostess fruit pies: 'pon my soul, they're so tasty. Cherry pie's are best...or blueberry; no wait, apple pies for breakfast. Hard to choose. It's a shame there's nothing like them in this country.

From Asheville...

things-to-do-in-nashville-tn-usa.jpg

...to Nashville: home for the finger pickin' folk of two kinds o' music - Country and Western.
I'm getting the impression they're just on a road trip now, enjoying the sights and sounds of America. But Nashville is home to Nissan in North America so it's an excellent excuse to visit the HQ and thank them for the flawless performance of their mighty Green Machine.:mrgreen:

While they enjoy the road ahead; Rowan Atkinson pens a sobering assessment for the future of electric cars; writing a qualified op-ed @the Guardian.com ...his opening statement surprised the heck out o' me: "Electric motoring is, in theory, a subject about which I should know something. My first university degree was in electrical and electronic engineering, with a subsequent master’s in control systems. Combine this, perhaps surprising, academic pathway with a lifelong passion for the motorcar, and you can see why I was drawn into an early adoption of electric vehicles. I bought my first electric hybrid 18 years ago and my first pure electric car nine years ago and (notwithstanding our poor electric charging infrastructure) have enjoyed my time with both very much. Electric vehicles may be a bit soulless, but they’re wonderful mechanisms: fast, quiet and, until recently, very cheap to run. But increasingly, I feel a little duped. When you start to drill into the facts, electric motoring doesn’t seem to be quite the environmental panacea it is claimed to be."

Sponsored Links
Back