Polihed Porcelain Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had Brussels Polished Porcelain tiles laid in my kitchen / dining area. Does anyone have any advice please on the best way of looking after these tiles. It took me hours (on my hands and knees) to polish them up once the tiler had finished and I don't fancy having to do that too often. Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
Hi Karis, thanks for replying but they have been sealed. The tiler applied the seal and told me to remove the residue the next day which is what took so long to do. Will this prevent the tiles from becoming marked etc?

Your tiler sealed the tiles before grouting (& possibly before laying) to prevent staining/bleed through from the adhesive/grout colour. The sealer has done it’s job if the residue/marks came off but he's a lazy git for not doing it himself as he tiled. But now you’ve cleaned them, you will have removed the original sealer & need to apply more & on a regular basis.

Natural stone & unglazed (polished porcelain) tiles have to be cleaned & sealed on a regular basis otherwise they will stain; did you realise this when you selected the tiles?

Sponsored Links
No I wasn't aware of this when I bought them. The man at Topps tiles told me that they had to be cleaned then sealed then grouted and then sealed again. I think the tiler just sealed them after grouting by using a roller but when he had finished doing that the tiles were dull with lots of streaks on them so they needed to be buffed which is what took me so long to do. How often will I need to reseal these tiles or will I be able to tell that they are ready to be done again? I wouldn't have bought them had I known they were going to be such a pain.

How often they need cleaning & re-sealing will very much depend on the tiles & what sort of use they get. TBH natural stone, polished or unglazed porcelain tiles are not a good choice for areas where there is heavy foot fall with shoes being worn or areas likely to present a grimy environment such as a kitchen, I always advise glazed ceramic or porcelain.

If the tiles aren’t glazed, the surface remains porous but it will vary depending on the tiles & if you don’t keep them sealed, grime will penetrate the surface & stain. A water test or marking with a black felt tip pen are a couple of tests which will give an indication of porosity. If the water leaves a darker mark after a few minutes or wiping the felt tip off with white spirit after it’s dried still leaves a mark then tiles must be sealed.

I do hope you haven’t used a white/light coloured grout!

A couple of other products that may be useful;
http://www.extensive.co.uk/product.php/66/intensive-cleaner-1l
http://lithofin-uk.co.uk/product/lithofin-mn-stain-stop/

Hi Karis

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Water does sit on top of the tiles rather than soaking into the tiles so I assume that the seal is ok.

I will try the other tests you suggested and see what happens.

I got a limestone coloured grout as recommended by Topps but it does look white in some areas.

Have I been ripped off?

I got a limestone coloured grout as recommended by Topps but it does look white in some areas. Have I been ripped off?
No you haven’t been ripped off, just not been given the best advice regarding the type of tiles most suitable for use in a kitchen or which grout colour to use on floor tiles. Cement based white or light coloured grout begins to look rather grubby in a short space of time, even in a bathroom. Sealing will help but grey or a contrasting darker colour doesn’t show the dirt anywhere near as much. Epoxy grout is ideal but rather more expensive.

Many folks are happy with the extra maintenance it requires to get the “look” they want but I always advise so folks can make an informed decision; however, it wouldn’t be my choice. I’ve had around 40 sq/m of large format, mid brown glazed porcelain tiles with dark brown grout (laid by me of course) in my own kitchen & conservatory for over 8 years now. They always look good & are vacuumed regularly but you would not believe the amount of dirt that comes off them when they are washed once a month & there is only two of us with the kids/grandkids visiting occasionally. I would never have carpets fitted downstairs again!

Many thanks for all your help and avice Karis.

I will be better informed the next time I buy tiles for the house.

I have to admit that they do look nice and hopefully I will have them (and still looking good) for as long as you have had yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back