Polishing my own glass/mirror edges.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I am looking for advice on how best to polish the edges of glass and mirror myself without causing any damage/scratching to the surfaces and backing, especially on the mirror. (A manual method is preferred.)

The glass/mirror is very small; this is the reason the glass merchant cannot do the polishing, so it's a task I'm going to have to do myself.

Will it look and feel anything like factory polished glass?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Traveller - a water stone or oil stone (the type used for sharpening plane blades & chisels), or diamond sharpening stone/pad. A polished edge on a mirror is matt. Any decent glazier should be able to polish the edge of even a small bit of mirrror - my local guy uses an old powered grindstone (3 feet dia) which runs really slowly in a water trough (the oldies out there will have used this type of tackle for tool grinding).

A trick my local glazier once showed me for making a glass edge 'safe' was to run a bit of flint pebble along the edge ... he used to keep a bit beside his collection of glass cutters; the pebble had a flat face which is the bit he used. Worked a treat.

Thanks for the reply, Symptoms.

I was hoping the answer would just be some sort of sandpaper!

Well, strictly speaking, I think they could have done it, but I think he implied that it would not be worth the cost if they did it.

The glass will be handled with bare hands frequently, so it must be safe to hold.

I've added your suggestions to my list of things to search for on my next shopping trip.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back