Polycarbonate Roof + Velux Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking into making my lean too 'conservatory' more energy efficient i.e above outside temperature, it currently has a drafty polycarbonate roof.

I'm planning on installing some celotex boards under the roof and then plasterboarding. The problem is then that it would be a lot darker in the adjoining kitchen. Is it feasible to fix noggins accross the joists, in order to install two velux windows, whilst keeping the polycarb roof (albeit slightly butchered)? This could then solve my light issue.

I did consider a tiled roof, but imagine that I'd have issues with building control and whether the existing footings were sufficient for the extra weight.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm looking into making my lean too 'conservatory' more energy efficient i.e above outside temperature, it currently has a drafty polycarbonate roof.

I'm planning on installing some celotex boards under the roof and then plasterboarding. The problem is then that it would be a lot darker in the adjoining kitchen. Is it feasible to fix noggins accross the joists, in order to install two velux windows, whilst keeping the polycarb roof (albeit slightly butchered)? This could then solve my light issue.

I did consider a tiled roof, but imagine that I'd have issues with building control and whether the existing footings were sufficient for the extra weight.

Thanks

You could use those lightwieght tiles, they look quite smart.

If the conservatory is thermally separate, you can justify it is exempt even with a solid roof.

How would you weather the velux to the polycarbonate roof?

Sponsored Links
Velux windows can easily weigh 40-50kg each and your conservatory frame might not be capable of that load.
It would be easier to build a more suitable roof.

It would be easier to build a more suitable roof.
Much easier.
The thought of spending ££££ on buying and fitting a Velux to a poycarb' roof makes me shudder. See sense and forget the 'lipstick on a pig' approach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back