Polycell damp proof paint Any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys just bought house few months ago that I'm refurbing to move into my house has just been plastered from top to bottom and the first coat done, I have a small patch in the corner wall that is damp this is due to facty house is sandstone fronted and pointing is poor and need fixed however it is not time of year to do it

Is it worth doing the damp seal even though it's still penetrating thru the sandstone and cavity Don't see point of getting the 2 coats put on to finish then find out I could have damp sealed

For thecrecord the finished colour is going to be magnolia or natural calico. (cream)

Sponsored Links
Firstly, the plastering should really have been left until the damp issue was sorted, but there's no point debating that now, and we can only offer advice on what to do next.

It's not really worth using the Polycell Damp Seal, or any other brand for that matter, while you still have water penetrating the wall from the outside. All brands state that their products are not a cure for damp and it must be remedied at source before using them. Once this is done you can the use it, and it does work fairly well, providing the surface is not completely saturated. Personally, I believe it's better to let the wall dry completely before attempting any redecorating. (The damp seal should still be used first, as it will act as a stain block and will protect against any moisture that could be remaining in the substrate.)

Whenever I use this type of product I usually use Thompsons but have used the Polycell in the past (a few years back when I picked up a 2.5l tin when my local Focus was closing down for £8 :eek: ) and it is pretty similar.

Remember that these products shouldn't be used where efflorescence (salts) is present and this could be the situation when the wall does dry out. If this is the case, an alkali-resisting primer would be required.

Firstly, the plastering should really have been left until the damp issue was sorted, but there's no point debating that now, and we can only offer advice on what to do next.

It's not really worth using the Polycell Damp Seal, or any other brand for that matter, while you still have water penetrating the wall from the outside. All brands state that their products are not a cure for damp and it must be remedied at source before using them. Once this is done you can the use it, and it does work fairly well, providing the surface is not completely saturated. Personally, I believe it's better to let the wall dry completely before attempting any redecorating. (The damp seal should still be used first, as it will act as a stain block and will protect against any moisture that could be remaining in the substrate.)

Whenever I use this type of product I usually use Thompsons but have used the Polycell in the past (a few years back when I picked up a 2.5l tin when my local Focus was closing down for £8 :eek: ) and it is pretty similar.

Remember that these products shouldn't be used where efflorescence (salts) is present and this could be the situation when the wall does dry out. If this is the case, an alkali-resisting primer would be required.

My bedroom wall became damp after the gutter fell off due to heavy snow few years ago and was repaired eventually (new gutters fitted and brickwork repointed) but only after the damage was done. So at the moment, we think tghe source of the problem is sorted and the wall seems to have dried out but has some salt and stains showing on the wall and it does feel cold (not sure if that matters).
We used Thompson's damp seal a while ago but was thinking about trying Polycell. Then I stumbled across your post.

I would appreciate some advice and I don't want to spend too much on it but do you reckon we could sort this with the alkali-resistant primer (cheaper option) you mentioned and then painting over it or would we need to replaster wall (expensive option)?

If we could go with primer I'm guessing we scrape off the salt then apply primer and then decorate?

Enzo.

The salts are what is called the early formation of efflorescence as already pointed out by MrH, the important thing to remember here is in no way dampen or wet the surface.

Using a dry rag or a broad edged scraper remove the infestation and cover the entire area with an alkali resisting primer, again mentioned by MrH

Dec

Sponsored Links
Your welcome mate, wish you had have replied though, i've got the worst cold in history, and trying even to locate the correct keys was difficult.

Take care fella,

Dec

...i've got the worst cold in history...

Manflu mate, MANFLU!! :p

Definitely! Just man up, The Dec. Or go to bed with some Lemsip, get better and stop whingeing. And make sure you clean your keyboard thoroughly or the germs will just multiply out of control. We don't want them in Yorkshire, thanks.

So there is a Mrs The Dec?

Good grief. She deserves instant canonisation :)

...i've got the worst cold in history...

Manflu mate, MANFLU!! :p

Definitely! Just man up, The Dec. Or go to bed with some Lemsip, get better and stop whingeing. And make sure you clean your keyboard thoroughly or the germs will just multiply out of control. We don't want them in Yorkshire, thanks.

So there is a Mrs The Dec?

Good grief. She deserves instant canonisation :)

Emily,

With regard to your advice and paying attention to my whingeing, the taking of a combantant medicine (such as Lemsip). and your apparent concern of the obvious germs that would be so very difficult not to spread.

Therfore allow please to put your mind at rest, if anyone within my household becomes a victim to any form of viral attack. We have established methods of both containing and with hope a denial of it's spread, there if you took care to look them up are such things as hand gels that don't actually clean your hands yet kill any germs that lay upon them. And the better ones are alchol based, now onto Lemsip, well frankly my dear it's rate of cure is based and contained within a very narrow margin, and a good slurp of malt whiskey not too much boiling water and a teaspoon of honey would be the better way to go.

Dec

Then you are in a way a little like me, for whilst I often don't get it right!!! Neither do you.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back