Polycell Smoothover Good or Bad??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i have just striped my bedroom wall and ceiling and want to paint instead of papering...the plater on the walls is sold but about 40yrs old

I cannot afford to have the walls and ceiling re Skimmed

I come across Polycell Smoothover in B & Q but non of the staff could give me any information on this product

Has anyone used this product

could anyone help me weather it does what it says on the tin

any help would be most greatful

thanks

Colin ;)

Sponsored Links
I've read mixed reviews on this site re polycell smoothover. I recently met a customer who had polycell'd their study ceiling and was asking me for a price to reskim it. The polycell finish was awful, as for that silly spready thing that comes with it - lol - I gave him a price and will be going back in a few weeks to reskim it for him, with a float and multifinish plaster :)

I have used it.
It does what it says on the tin.
But on the whole, I think it would be best to have the walls skimmed with plaster.

Sponsored Links
It is a complete waste of time and money. Tried it on an upstairs wall out of sight. It looked awfull.

Don't use it unless you are good at plastering!! I foolishly fell for the marketing and video on their website - easy!! I wanted to cover woodchip paper on a ceiling - looked worse than when I started and ended up getting my cousin to plasterboard and skim the ceiling - probably should have done that in the first place and saved almost £100 that I paid for the products. I have an unopened tub in the garage if you want it!! I think it is probably good stuff if you already have plastering skills but then you probably wouldn't use it anyway. Steer well clear!!

im with zampa on this one. easy to use and easy to sand and a damn site cheaper. By the way have you noticed the big spreading tool they sell for about £8 doesnt actually fit in the tubs...brilliant! :LOL:

Madhouse666 your post is just like my situation & spookily my names Colin as well !
My house is nearly 70 years old & I initially went down the smoothover route as I had the whole house to do and the walls were in very good condition apart from a few digs & scrapes as it was a well kept one owner house with only one layer of wall paper & the original ceiling paint underneath.
On my first room a 4x4 bedroom (metre’s not off roader :D ) After removing the old dried wall paper paste & ceiling paint by a sander I found for smaller area’s the smooth over works very well but still needs sanding as its nigh impossible not to leave tracks/ridges etc etc but as its so easy to sand its not a problem.

I ended up with a really good smooth wall using a 500w halogen light for seeing all the imperfections but I did find though that although I had covered all the digs/dents when it came to painting I had pin holes that I thought would fill with paint but didn’t (tried Polycell base coat & Polycell flexible ceiling paint but they didn’t really make much difference)
I had to bite the bullet & go back with a small blade & fill in all the little holes & then go & sand it all down again, knackerd a Black & Decker third sheet sander along the way but bought a better Bosch variable speed one that seems to be much better although I finish sanding with a 3m rubber hand block.

I had a good look on here for an alternative to smooth over as it was going to end up too expensive to do the whole house this way & I would be just as well getting a Plasterer in to skim the lot. I tried Gyproc joint filler & it seems to be just a good if not better & is far, far cheaper only prob is it is light tan in colour & if touching up a white painted wall/ceiling it is harder to cover with paint so I just now use the white smoothover for the finishing touches
I have moved onto another bedroom now & I will be far fussier it filling all the holes & another thing I’ll do is cover the lot in plaster sealer once filled as although watered down emulsion worked in 95% of the area in the first room I had a few issues with peeling paint which hopefully the sealer will address.

Due to time & dust issues (2 kids to think about) I will probably go to a plasterer for the rest downstairs but it has been an interesting project (apart from the peeling paint bit)

Hope you get on well but if its a near full skim you need then I don't think Smoothover is the most cost/time effective way, small patches yes, full skim no. (that probably goes for easyfill/skim etc unless you have all the right gear & can use it well)

Give us an update as to how you get on.

Cheers,

Co.

I used a ready make mix (shock horror) from Wickes on a wall and it worked really well. But I'm unsure if it would be any good over stipple artex (really deep). On small areas perhaps. What do you reckon?

hi my first post on this site apolgies if I get it wrong. The previous poster said they used a product from Wickes I wonder if they could say what it was?
I was searching for opinions about polycell basecoat and these reviews have really put me right off, but I feel I need a thickish basecoat.
Thank You
Kay :D

I used it and it seemed ok. It sands down nice and easily too.

I think its good for doing smallish areas, but if you have to do large areas then why not just use one coat plaster?

Its alot cheaper and I would have thought takes the same skills to use as smooth over.

By the way have you noticed the big spreading tool they sell for about £8 doesnt actually fit in the tubs...brilliant! icon_lol.gif

I noticed this and couldn't believe it. :rolleyes:

this product is a load of kak i stirred it till my arms fell off and it was so stiff it would not stick to the roller. unlike the online how to guide from polycell .
so if your thinking of buying it DONT ,got my money back.

David. You are replying to a post from 2007. :rolleyes:

Good point , David - I think it`s actually useful to reply under these circumstances - shame you didn`t say it`s a great product now ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back