polyfilla basecoat - any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking of putting this onto my slightly uneven walls before painting. Is this stuff any good? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Never used it but all I can tell you is that ive heard its not very good.

I used this in my lounge and was a bit disappointed at first. I thought you could just apply it then paint over it. Not the case! You have to sand it down aswell. I found it much easier with an electric sander but the dust gets everywhere. If you cant afford a plasterer to skim the walls and really dont want to put wallpaper up then this does the job. It was hard work and I got through 5 tubs of the stuff (its quite a big lounge / diner) but am happy with the result and glad that we didnt opt for the wall paper. I am planing to use it in the rest of the house so it cant have put me off too much!

Just be prepared for hard work and dust!

Hi uselesssally,
Do you not mean Smoothover instead of base coat as this sounds like what I had to do when i used it (sanding & DUST! etc)

If so try a trade tub of Gyproc joint filler (B&Q sell it) way chaeper (£12 for a huge tub) & it sands as good if not better - still the same dust though :D

Co.

Sponsored Links
I used Polyfilla basecoat in my corridor after removing the wallpaper and it just does not do what it says on the tin. It does not cover the slightly patchy walls. It looks and behaves like a rich emulsion. I could have brought 12 litres of dulux rich emusion for what I paid for 2.5litres of this useless marketing conjob. :evil:

I used Polyfilla basecoat in my corridor after removing the wallpaper and it just does not do what it says on the tin. It does not cover the slightly patchy walls. It looks and behaves like a rich emulsion. I could have brought 12 litres of dulux rich emusion for what I paid for 2.5litres of this useless marketing conjob. :evil:

Well said. I never used it myself, but a customer did. He was doing one room to my 3 :rolleyes: He put several coats of basecoat on walls then started on the rich matt :rolleyes: I prepped walls and two coats of dulux trade soft sheen purrrrfect. He was still doing his one room when I was gone..... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back