Polypipe question

B91

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone trying to help me by fixing loose floorboards has punctured a 15mm plastic pipe carring hot water from combi boiler to a tap. I bought a couple of push-fit joints and some pipe but in repairing it he has omitted to put in two of the four pipe inserts I gave him. I have made sure both joints are fully tight and after a couple of hours it seems OK, but from your experience is it? Or do I need to cut out the section affected, get new parts and do it again? The pressure in the pipe must be pretty low.

Attachments

• WP_20190724_13_01_27_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190724_13_01_27_Pro.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
You need the inserts. Whole point of them is to give the pipe the rigidity to allow the grab rings to do their job. 5 mins work now to replace, or hours worth of mopping up and redecorating if (when) it goes pop? Also unlikely any insurance will pay out if it's discovered a defective joint is the issue.

No need to cut out anything. Those JG fittings are demountable, so just turn off the water, undo the fittings and pop the inserts in and do them back up .... jobs a guddunn

No need to cut out anything. Those JG fittings are demountable, so just turn off the water, undo the fittings and pop the inserts in and do them back up .... jobs a guddunn
That was going to be my next question - thanks! But when the guy who had made the error tried to do that he couldn't get them to come apart. Any thoughts on that?

Sponsored Links
does he know how to? You need to push back on the collet and pull the pipe, I’ve marked it in blue. Failing that unscrew a little (in yellow) and try repeating the previous instruction.

Attachments

• 9C5074AD-1A8B-4000-A29D-1539C9FAA2C4.jpeg
    9C5074AD-1A8B-4000-A29D-1539C9FAA2C4.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 108
Great answers, thanks guys. Arthritic hands make jobs like this a bit challenging but I'm going to have a go. Let you know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back