Polyplumb 18 bar pressure test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have completed a first fix in polyplumb and pressure tested to 18 bar. I then had to change some pipe work as the position of the basin has been changed. So I now have 2 fittings on the system that haven't been pressure tested to 18 bar. Will/could this cause as problem with polyplumb asking for an 18 bar test

Sponsored Links
Is this a gravity system???..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
18 bar FFS..
Hydrostatic or pneumatic?..:)...lets hope the former and not the latter...:censored:

Sponsored Links
It's purpose was to invalidate all diy use or insurance claims arising from. In a similar way that the unvented "yearly service " is used by loss adjusters to sidestep public liability payouts.
Very few professional users even test to 18bar. Had to retest a copper rad circuit in a house took it up.yo 10bar that's plenty.
The idea with 18 bar is it causes the grabrings to dig into the barrier pipe and prevents reverse chattering which can happen on water main feeds and high/low pressure cycling. The grabring can actually come off backwards!!

Plastic pipe is awful. Looks dreadful under sinks etc. Can't understand why anyone uses it. I can see the advantages e.g a continuous run across an attic or something. I just hate it when you open an airing cupboard and the spaghetti from lash up pump installs hits you.

It's purpose was to invalidate all diy use or insurance claims arising from. In a similar way that the unvented "yearly service " is used by loss adjusters to sidestep public liability payouts.
Very few professional users even test to 18bar. Had to retest a copper rad circuit in a house took it up.yo 10bar that's plenty.
The idea with 18 bar is it causes the grabrings to dig into the barrier pipe and prevents reverse chattering which can happen on water main feeds and high/low pressure cycling. The grabring can actually come off backwards!!

IIRC isn't it also something to do with O ring first rather than O ring last?

IIRC isn't it also something to do with O ring first rather than O ring last?

Spot on, the Polyplumb fitting is an "O" ring first fitting as was the very first Hep2o fittings.
This basically means that when you insert the pipe it passes through the "O" ring first and the grab ring second, in some cases the pipe can pass through the "O" ring and just catch on the grab ring and may hold for some time before blowing out.
Many manufacturers have gone for the grab first "O" ring second configuration to eliminate the possibility of a full bore blow off, the pressure test on this type of fitting is generally 1.5 X working pressure.
If testing to 18 bar (manufacturers recommendations) isolate all equipment (showers, taps etc) that can't withstand 18 bar, a "belt and braces" approach is to mark the insertion depth on the pipe with pencil and make sure it is fully inserted into the socket and give the pipe a good tug to engage the teeth.

18 bar is standard across polypipes pushfit range from memory, at this pressure it ensures the grab rings bite into the pipe ensuring they cant pop off. Any claim against them and they will ispect fitting and pipe and expect it to have been at 18bar and the ring to have bitten into the plastic pipe a certain amount. dont leave them on for a long time at 18bar tho as you may find the fittings with copper in them pop.

16Bar hydraulic pressure test on first fix is very common in new builds. Done it many times, but still doesn't stop some rsole Joiner putting a nail in a pipe!!
Polypipe are O ring before grab ring, so can blow easily. Hep2o is the best PF system in my view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back