Polyroof and balustrading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Has anyone any experience of having a balcony covered in Polyroof Proec Polyfinish along with stainless steel balustrading?
We are having a problem with finding a suitable method of sealing around the protruding steel posts. Polyroof ae advising that we use a wood stanchion method, but I do not like the idea of wood being totally encapsulated within Polyroof , as wood needs to breathe Not sweat

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I do not follow what is meant by a wood stanchion method tbh. In any case if I were to detail that roof up I would have the roofers dress the roof finish (be it GRP, EDPM, single ply membrane, felt or whatever) up and bonded to the balusters. Snugly fitting stainless steel collars or cowls can then be slid down to protect and hide the joint. These are silicone sealed to the balusters.

That's how any penetration through a flat roof should be dealt with. The only difference is the additional cowl to make it look pretty.

A bit like this:

Well after being advised by the roofing company to have coping stones on top of the parapet wall and fix the balustrading through the coping into the solid wall underneath, instead of the Polyroof going over the whole parapet wall, the Polyroof Protech Polyfinish was applied

What a joke !

Thank god we haven't paid yet!

Polyroof have said the roof is up to technical requirements but comestically , very poor

We were informed that polyfinish would be a uniform attractive final finish if their large sample was anything to go by on their Home & Renovations stand

The finish we have is uneven, blotchy, it is like my pebbledashed house in parts, a lot of sharp bits(sharp enough to cut bare feet), it is squeaking in one are(obviously not enough screws) a lot of drips and roller marks all over the balcony

Now we have two options:

1. Get them back to redo the final finish . w\e were told it would take a day to recitfy and redo the two coat and silica finish plus materials

2. Inform the roofing company we want a reduction

An one any ideas how much I should ask for a reduction.It initial quote was for around £1900

My partner wants to tell them to stuff it and get some hardwood decking laid on top which would cost around £700 plus labour, so I was thinking of sending the roofing company half the money £950 as the Polyroof chap said it would less trouble for the roofing company

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you'd at least aknowledged my responses to your thread the first time I might have been bothered to usefully answer your thread this time round so good luck with that!

Yes you re right...sorry about that! And thanks for the info. I had already seen all the details on the Polyroof websites and nothing really helped us on our problem, but thanks anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back