Polystyrene Coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

What are your views and experience of using polystyrene coving as compared with other types?
Is it best to stick with plaster ones?

I am more inclined to go for the former as it is lighter and possibly easier for a DIY novice like me to handle the work.
Your wisdom is much appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you want your room to look c**p, use it.There is plaster coving that you can buy that is light weight and easy to put up.

yes I would agree with bobski, use the Plaster board one, Gypsum, it looks much better when you have done it, I have done all my house and it looks really good, like it has always been there.

I would get yourself a Coving Block to cut the joints with, only about 7 or 8 pounds and it makes all the corner joints perfect, also when you have stuck up the pieces we used a few nails along the base to hold up the pieces for a day or two then remove them, just fill in the gaps with the adhesive. We used the self mix adhesive, the stuff in the tube is messy and doesn't last as long, and it is expensive. Also if you get the angle wrong it will not come off, where as the self mix stuff you can slide it into place, you get longer to maneuver before it sets

Then paint 2 or 3 times and it looks brilliant.

Dont touch the stuff..its pure evil..

Proper plaster coving doesnt cost much more...and it wont end up looking like krap once its been put up

Sponsored Links
Good tips above i promise you... only last week I was doing a room that had that poly stuff, very fragile and a pain to repair where they put xmas trimmings.....just in case you havent seen it
look here

Good luck ...

Thanks for the advice guys!
Plaster it is...

To keep it in place until the adhesive has taken hold, you use nails??

confidentincompetent - Thank you for that link.
It looks very comprehensive indeed!

Yeh just tap some nails in every metre ..not too far or youl pull a chunk of plaster off the wall.

Sorry, should of pointed out I used the paper covered Gypsum not the plaster one, but the finish is just the same.

I found if you put the nails sort of at an angle it doesnt damage the edge of the coving. About 45 degrees upwards.

Guys - Some feedback...
The coving project is over, and I am pleased with the results.

I did not use plaster coving as I did not want the hassle of dealing with the weight of it....
I bought the lightweight coving that Wickes sells which looks much better than traditional polystyrene coving.
I agree with you that the latter looks horrible...

I found the lightweight coving very easy to handle, cut and fix to the walls.
Mind you, It needed careful handling as if mishandled, you can make many dents into it - since it is made of similar material as polystyrene.
But it looks more pleasing to the eye. I painted over it to blend it to the wall / ceiling decor.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back