polystyrene in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to lay a concrete floor as a base for a home office and want to put 50mm of polystyrene in, with further insulation on top.

The regular polystyrene boards are not available for delivery.. But

Is cheaper and in stock. Is this suitable with a 10cm concrete base on top. It will be laid on a DPM.

Sponsored Links
Yes that's OK to use, with a sealed vapour barrier on top, but why insulation bellow and above?

The barrier on top is more to prevent any concrete seeping into the insulation joints.

It seems no matter how thick you make the insulated slab, the floor is cold unless you also insulate above the slab. If you make the floating floor too thick it seems bouncy. Plus it's about 2x cheaper to have 50mm poly + 40-50mm celotex. The walls and roof will be 70-90mm celotex.

You'll need a vapour barrier under the top floor surface to prevent condensation, as your concrete slab will be colder than the room (although not as cold as the ground).

Celotex would be better - stronger and better insulating, and might cost only a little more.

Sponsored Links
Yes but there is a limit to this.. The last one I built. I used 100mm Celotex all round. The difference is tiny when you are heating and cooling a 12m2 space with an aircon unit. Particularly given the insulation massively exceeds the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back