Polystyrene sheets or foil backed for a shed floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just looking for some advice before i purchase it. I'm building a garden shed 3mx2.4m And the base is raised off the ground on blocks by 8" or so. The base is 4x2 treated. So as i'm storing items in here as well as tools etc. Would like to insulate the floor before i put the OSB down.

Now would foil backed be worth it for this purpose? I'm going to wrap the shed in a breathable membrane before cladding it. So i could use this (reversed) before the OSB floor.

The cost between them is double so as this won't be a living space would the polystyrene sheets at 100mm be adaquate?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It reads to be as 100mm polystyrene is sufficient. Spend the savings on upgrading to plywood flooring.

What function would the reversed breather membrane serve on the floor?

Remember to put a damp proof layer between the blocks and the wooden base

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you. Yes that is what i have gone with.

I have seen a few videos that have done this, would it not do anything? I will have loads of membrane left over so it won't be a cost factor.

Yes i have already done that thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back