pond grill on the allotment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm making a wildlife pond on my allotment, but the council have asked that I put a grill over it. I don't want to put the grill flat on the ground (pond is essentially a hole in the ground) because that would stop wildlife gaining access to the water. I don't really want to concrete posts into the ground - it's my allotment after all!

The grill is a recycled fence panel (metal, strong enough to hold body weight), and I could do with fixing it in such a way that I could open or remove it so that I can access the pond for maintenance etc.

Any suggestions as to the best way to achieve all this would be greatly appreciated.

Dragonyka

Sponsored Links
A bit more 'info needed, I think:
Has the council insisted it's fixed/locked down?
What kind of edging to the pond is there?
How much overlap is there for the metal grid?
How far below the edge is the water surface?
What size/shape of pond?
How far are you prepared to go to compromise convenience for cost?

A bit more 'info needed, I think:
Has the council insisted it's fixed/locked down?
What kind of edging to the pond is there?
How much overlap is there for the metal grid?
How far below the edge is the water surface?
What size/shape of pond?
How far are you prepared to go to compromise convenience for cost?

1. No - they just said 'a grill'
2. At the moment none because I'm still making it. It's going to be as natural as possible - logs an the like - as it's going to be a wildlife pond.
3. I'll have to check the dimensions.
4. Again, not sure yet as it's still just a hole in the ground.
5. Shape is basically rectangular with curved corners, but it's not strictly rectangular as I've not used any straight edges. It's approximately 2.5m long and 1.8m wide.
6. I'm not intending to access the pond frequently, it'll be maybe once or twice a year once the pond is established, but having said that, I'm willing to put in a bit of cash to make it practical. (Does that answer the question?)

Sorry, I know those answers aren't hugely helpful, I'm a complete beginner and just started rather than planning as thoroughly as I should have.

Dragonyka

So why not provide a recessed edge to the pond, slightly lower than ground level, to support the grill?
It probably won't matter if the water covers the grill by a small amount, as long as the grill is sturdy enough to support the weight of small animals, children, etc.
The alternative is a fence around the pond with sufficient space for animals to access it.

Sponsored Links
What do the council want Drag, is it just a means to 'identify' danger? Could you not get some metal spikes about 25mm diameter x 5 foot tall (the type builders sometimes use to mark off a trench that has been dug etc) or similar, and hammer and position them close to the edges of the pond, tie some polyrope at say 1 foot high, 2 feet high and 4 feet high around the posts to stop somebody walking directly into it?

Lou.

What do the council want Drag, is it just a means to 'identify' danger? Could you not get some metal spikes about 25mm diameter x 5 foot tall (the type builders sometimes use to mark off a trench that has been dug etc) or similar, and hammer and position them close to the edges of the pond, tie some polyrope at say 1 foot high, 2 feet high and 4 feet high around the posts to stop somebody walking directly into it?

Lou.

Good thought. I'll have to check with the council to see if a fence would be acceptable rather than a grill.

Dragonyka

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back