Pond light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am re-using an old pond light with 'MR16 12V' written on the side of the light. Does this just require a standard MR16 bulb, does this need connecting to a transformer and the flex colours are white and black which I have never seen before.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
A 12volt one!

Where will the transformer be?
Inside = a 12v transformer suitable for indoor use
Outdoor = a 12v transformer suitable for oudoor use

The transformer needs to be big enough to power the lamp. You havent said how many watts it is.

Sponsored Links
Yes the transformer will be used outdoors so will need one suitable for outdoor use. The only issue I have is that I have heard some people say that MR16s run off 12V AC and others from 12V DC.
Thanks

Yes the transformer will be used outdoors so will need one suitable for outdoor use. The only issue I have is that I have heard some people say that MR16s run off 12V AC and others from 12V DC.
Thanks

Filament lamps can run off DC or AC. Transformers are AC devices.

Black and white are American colo(u)r code. Black = line (hot), white = neutral. As the transformer isolates it it does not matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back