Pontius Pilate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.english.imjnet.org.il/htmls/popup.aspx?c0=13142&bsp=13027

The first-century Jewish historian Josephus referred to the stoning of “James, the brother of Jesus who was called the Christ.” (THE JEWISH ANTIQUITIES, JOSEPHUS, BOOK XX, SEC. 200)

Tacitus, a Roman historian who lived during the latter part of the first century C.E., wrote: “Christus [Latin for “Christ”], from whom the name [Christian] had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus.”—THE COMPLETE WORKS OF TACITUS (NEW YORK, 1942), “THE ANNALS,” BOOK 15, PAR. 44.

With reference to early non-Christian historical references to Jesus, THE NEW ENCYCLOPÆDIA BRITANNICA states: “These independent accounts prove that in ancient times even the opponents of Christianity never doubted the historicity of Jesus "(1976), MACROPÆDIA, VOL. 10, P. 145.

As it did with the Hebrew Scriptures, archaeology has brought to light many interesting artifacts in support of the inspired record contained in the Christian Greek Scriptures.

For instance –

Pontius Pilate Inscription. It was in 1961 that the first archaeological find was made with reference to Pontius Pilate. ( the person who put Jesus to death) This was a stone slab located at Caesarea, which bore in Latin the name of Pontius Pilate

To mention only one, as there are literally hundreds of artifacts relating to everything Jesus said and did. All the people Jesus mentioned, there is proof they existed, all the places he said he visited, there is proof these places did exist, and so on.

To put is simply, if we are to doubt the historicity of Jesus, we must also doubt the historicity of ones like, Alexander the Great and Napoleon, as there is more evidence of Jesus existence than of theirs.

Food for thought !

Sponsored Links
So where did he walk on water then? :rolleyes:

If you suspend the laws of physics and chemistry the jesus did exist just like the holocaust.

To put is simply, if we are to doubt the historicity of Jesus, we must also doubt the historicity of ones like, Alexander the Great and Napoleon, as there is more evidence of Jesus existence than of theirs.
Bearing in mind of course that almost all the stories on record are written by people who never met him, after he died.

About as reliable as if I wrote some stories about Lord Louis Mountbatten.

I don't think there are many people who dispute that Battenburg existed, but some might suspect any stories I made up about what he was like or what he did.

Hampshire definitely exists, and can be visited today, and there definitely was and still is a Royal Navy, so that proves my stories are true, right?

Sponsored Links
I never knew he had a brother. Was he "immaculate" as well?

"Bearing in mind of course that almost all the stories on record are written by people who never met him, after he died.

About as reliable as if I wrote some stories about Lord Louis Mountbatten. "

Sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Undoubtedly one of the hardest planes to fly, great for stalling and spinning though. :mrgreen:

Replaced the pup around 1915 ish I think.

Not quite Sooey :LOL:

The Sopwith Camel was revolutionary, the guns fired between the propellers.

Jesus existed, quite possibly, but that does not mean the stories about him are not legendary.

Jesus the first born was the Son of God. Joseph and Mary had a normal marital life afterwards including legitimate children ot is believed. There are even references within the Bible of this.

Dunno if there was a hushed silence everytime Joseph mentioned that b*stard Jesus though.

Sponsored Links
Back