Pool Construction Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm dumbfounded... I have the green light from the missus to legitimately look at building a pool in the garden as well as a sizeable budget, but it only stretched to DIY (oh no... anyway...).

The loose plan I have at the moment is as follows:
  • Outdoor, 2/3 submerged.
  • 8,000 - 10,000l
  • 2x4m, 1m deep, maybe a bit extra as a splash zone for a slide.
  • Concrete block construction
  • Chlorinated Rubber or 2 part epoxy paint
  • Pass on the main drain, opting for double skimmer and down angled returns
  • Shallow area with a removable baffle and fire-pit heater
I've been doing my reading, and have the following questions I'm hoping at least one of you lovely lot can help out with.
  1. What makes a pool waterproof? - seems daft, but I had assumed it was the paint but have been told it's not. That's the purpose of waterproof render and the paint is cosmetic.
  2. Follow on from 1, I could render it myself, but if it's only for cosmetic details, I'd be happy with painted slurry coat, or even bare blocks. Any viability in this?
  3. Are there any building regulations for outdoor pools? - I've read it's critical to follow the regulations, but the only ones I can find are related to insulation of indoor pools.
  4. I've read that walls need to be 15" thick fully reinforced concrete... but also that 215 flat laid dense concrete blocks will suffice. I get that it'll be based on depth and size, but any good guides on when to use what? - My plan is currently based on 215mm CMUs with lateral and vertical rebar then filled with concrete. I can't believe that won't be enough.
  5. Is it necessary to insulate an in-ground pool?
I think this covers my current blockers on budgetary planning.

Need to go clear a space now :unsure:

Cheers,
Fubar

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back