Poor hot water in shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi boiler which at the moment is providing a decent level of hot water to all taps, but my shower is merely warm.

It's a bog standard old style mixer shower (two columns, with a supply pipe feeding into each and meeting in the middle where the water descends into the shower hose), and I can feel that the hot supply pipe is hot, but even when turned to the max hotness on the 'handle', it's just warm.

Could the hot water side of the mixer be scaled up, meaning that more cold than hot is getting mixed?

If so, I'm happy enough shutting off the water supply and taking it off, can I give it a good old cleaning out?

Sponsored Links
If you only turn the shower to the hot setting does the shower give you hot water? more than likely it's a thermostatic one and the valve is faulty.

Sponsored Links
Any isolation valves on the feed pipes? If so restrict the flow on the cold and see what happens.

No isolation valve I'm afraid. The hot supply pipe is hot.

Earlier in the year I used to have it on half mix and it was fine, but now at the same setting I used to use, it's freezing (though boiler fired up) so we have to turn it to full hotness which is merely warm.

Flow pressure is the same, and boiler definitely fired up as usual.

I'm not opposed to getting a new unit but I can't find it anywhere any more, they're all modern and would require hassle sorting the pipes and tiles.

Any idea where I might come across one if irrepairable?

i would opt for stripping it down and cleaning it out.
what make/model is it ?
have you a pic of the front cover ?

This is it with no cover.

When turned to what should be it's hottest - it's merely warm. The bath / sink taps etc though are pretty hot!

What do you reckon?

If I remember correctly, that is a Croydex venturi shower, usually used for mains cold / tank hot.

I had one and it was awful.

If you have a combi you will get much better performance by swapping it for a thermostatic shower valve.

Thanks for the posts!

The problem with changing to thermostatic is that the pipes will need moving and tiles will probably need removing. What a pain in the cherries!

Worked fine for 4 years+ til now. Apparently discontinued too. What do you reckon chances of coming across one is?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back