Poor quality walls, what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Ive started stripping paper in my new house (approx 23 yrs old) and, because the paper has been on all this time, the wall behind is in a pretty poor condition. The paste has mottled most of the magnolia base coat that was used directly on the dot and dab walls.

I've started sanding the worst bits with my Makita sander but the large patches of grey (I'm assuming it's the skim coat of plaster) absorb a lot of water when wet. Am I right in thinking that after I've sanded back the worst areas I should apply a mist coat of emulsion or is there any other trade sealer I should use
IMG_8968.JPG
IMG_8969.JPG
?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest Zinsser Gardz. Let's see what the others say.

A mist coat of 50/50 paint and water should be fine. Zinsser is good, but I'm not sure there is anything here that suggest you need to got that far - yet. What's going on top of the wall though.

Eventually It'll be painted. I was thinking a mist coat, 2 coats of emulsion then then 2 top coats.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a mist coat, followed by 2 coats of white emulsion, then 2 of the coloured emulsion you want. Sounds like a reasonable plan.

Do you mean a mist coat, followed by 2 coats of white emulsion, then 2 of the coloured emulsion you want. Sounds like a reasonable plan.
Yes.
I was just wondering whether the Zinsser Gardz would give a better finish than the mist coat. I'm giving up for the day, its taken 3 hours and I've only prepped 2 walls :(

It'll give a stable finish that you will "probably"be able to go over with 2 coats of colour . So saving 2 coats (mist+ white) but it'll cost. Your choice, it's my choice;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back